Rough Marcite Bottom Scrapped Toes! What To Do?

jspec

Currently my pool is about 85% drained as we had the tile done. It was falling off and we didn't have anymore so we changed it all out. I had 3 companies and the tile guy look at the marcite all of them said it was good for 2-3 more years but they would replace it if I wanted. The issue I have is my kids all get swimmers toe or so they call it. The surface of the bottom is very rough. My orignal thought was to take a grinder and smooth the surface. They all told me it would work but it is going to take forever. 1 company said they would smooth it for $1000 or remarcite the pool for $3300. So my idea is this. I have a 20" floor polisher and I figured I would pick up a diamond buffing pad for marble or stone and give it a smoothing. Has anyone tried this?

• 3 weeks later...

Pool plaster is best polished with smaller pads 5", 7" or slightly larger with a flexible backing pad. There are a lot of curves, coves and detail work in a pool that a 20" floor grinder would not polish, the rest would have to be hand polished.

Some times old pool plaster is very thin, then when you polish it you go all the way to the gunite. I would plaster the pool or buy the kids aqua shoes to wear in the pool.

Hope this helps

Pool plaster is best polished with smaller pads 5", 7" or slightly larger with a flexible backing pad. There are a lot of curves, coves and detail work in a pool that a 20" floor grinder would not polish, the rest would have to be hand polished.

Some times old pool plaster is very thin, then when you polish it you go all the way to the gunite. I would plaster the pool or buy the kids aqua shoes to wear in the pool.

Hope this helps

Well I already did it. The 20" was useless. I really needed a diamond pad but the kids where sick of waiting. I used a 12" floor brusher and it worked out kinda well. It is still rough but I have not had any complaints just yet. It would have worked nicely with a fine or medium grit pad but I tried burninging pads and they just shreaded and made a mess. Oh well next year I will pebbletec the pool and call it a day. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same problem! After a few days of swimming my feet become extremely tender and there have been several instances where people have scraped their knees and faces against the wall- ouch! I am thinking of hiring someone to polish the bottom and sides, but I don't how to go about that. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!