Replacing Section Of Skimmer Line

tb0ne

First time inground pool owner here. Inherited one with a new house - have experience with above-grounds, but this is the first inground.

I opened up the pool this year not knowing the condition. After finding a vinyl liner on its last leg, and a dead pump, I now have the filter system running for the most part. One major issue was that I was getting very little suction from the skimmer. The install of this pool seems iffy at best - part of the skimmer line was actually above ground (the part with the black tape in he first picture), it looks like it was previously patched. Anyhow I could hear water attempting to go through the line, but it sounded like it was choking. I dug up that portion of the line, and found several kinks. I have no idea why this is like this, but I'm guessing from freezing/thawing (I'm in the northeast).

I realize its a temporary solution and I should probably replace the entire skimmer line, but I want to cut out this section and replace. What's there currently is some sort of slightly flexible pipe. I'm not sure if it's flexible pvc, I don't know a whole lot about that stuff. Just looking for any suggestions on what materials to use, as well as how to do the couplings.

Hopefully this makes sense - pictures attached. Thanks for any help.

2816fzk.jpg

2z6dqjb.jpg

Re do with rigid sched 40 pvc

So assuming the existing pipe is *not* flexible PVC, how would I go about coupling the new PVC to the existing pipe? Should I use some sort of male/female coupling with hose clamps?

The Sch 40 is not flexible you are correct but you will have "play" as at least one end is still the flex pipe. Use the longest couplings you can find Dura makes some long ones, others are too short especially if you are going Sch40 to flexpipe, if you don't the joint is going to look crooked and not be a very good bond (the flex wants to curl and the Sch40 wants to stay rigid) It's a suction line so you should be ok w/light bodied glue for both, I wouldn't recommend primer on the flex, let us know how it turns out. Also, when you are shopping for pipe get the red label stuff not the black.

Looks great, Good Job!! That is going to make a huge difference. Looks like you managed to get the flex pipe coupling joint straight as well, does it look that good on the other side? And what did you use, Christy's?

Lots of good suction from the skimmer now. Wasn't Christy's brand - I can't remember the name but it begins with an O. Came in a kit of both the primer and cement.

Now since doing this I'm having pressure issues on the filter. I'm having to backwash every 5 hours or so, or else I lose most of the suction in the skimmer. I don't know if this is normal but hopefully it will cease once the water clears.

Looks great, Good Job!! That is going to make a huge difference. Looks like you managed to get the flex pipe coupling joint straight as well, does it look that good on the other side? And what did you use, Christy's?

Lots of good suction from the skimmer now. Wasn't Christy's brand - I can't remember the name but it begins with an O. Came in a kit of both the primer and cement.

Now since doing this I'm having pressure issues on the filter. I'm having to backwash every 5 hours or so, or else I lose most of the suction in the skimmer. I don't know if this is normal but hopefully it will cease once the water clears.

Can you send pic(s) of the equip and valving?

After seeing what the skimmer line originally looked like, I wonder if any of the return plumbing is the flex as well, with kinks and loop?

After seeing what the skimmer line originally looked like, I wonder if any of the return plumbing is the flex as well, with kinks and loop?

Or it could be you're getting a lot of residual debris out of that skimmer line since the repair?

The skimmer line is that flex stuff all the way to the pump. I'm getting plenty of flow through it at first though, so I don't think there' any more kinks.