Expired Taylor R-0871?

I was running low on my Taylor FAS-DPD Titrating Reagent (R-0871). I went to my local pool store who had a hard time finding it, but when they did, they dusted off the "new" bottle and gave it to me. I questioned about how old it was becuse I know that the reagents eventually expire. They said it was not that old, "from their last shipment". I was skeptical because of the dust that seemed to have accumulated on the bottle. It was clear they don't sell a lot of the stuff.

Anyway I took it home and compared readings using this bottle with the remains of my former bottle (I know the former bottle was OK as I got it directly from Taylor about 1 month ago).

The readings from the former bottle consistently gave FC=2.2 (checked it twice). The dusty bottle from the pool store gave readings of FC=2.6, 2.8 and 2.8 on three checks. If this was indeed bad reagent would you expect that the reading would be high? is there a way I can create a known concentration of FC to test this? Should I just return the bottle?

As noted here if the R-0871 is yellow in color, then it has gone bad. On the way to going bad, it will be less strong so will take more drops to have the same effect, which is what you are seeing.

As for having a known concentration standard, that is difficult. Though 1/4 teaspoon of 6% bleach in 2 gallons of distilled water is 10 ppm FC, it can be hard to measure this accurately and to have water and a clean bucket that does not consume any chlorine.

Certainly it should be discarded, it has long expired, well past its production date. But don't take my word for it, ask Taylor, it's a 2 minute call.

Compare that to the R-0871 reagents I got "from my last shipment", lot 1071D.

Taylor doesn't give the expiration dates on their reagents (as Lamotte would do) for obvious reasons.

Certainly it should be discarded, it has long expired, well past its production date. But don't take my word for it, ask Taylor, it's a 2 minute call.

Compare that to the R-0871 reagents I got "from my last shipment", lot 1071D.

Taylor doesn't give the expiration dates on their reagents (as Lamotte would do) for obvious reasons.

You were right. How did you decipher the lot code? I contacted Taylor and they said it was older than 2-3 years!

How unbelievable is that! The pool store totally lied to my face! I should have realized it when they wouldn't give me a date and that they got it "from their last shipment"... yeah 3 years ago! Caveat Emptor!