Need Advice On Cloudy Water

TXGlenn

I had a metal problem in my saltwater pool so I gave it the ascorbic acid treatment. This is what happened:

1. Began letting chlorine drop to 0.

2. Water started getting slightly cloudy so I added algaecide.

3. Chlorine hit 0 so I added ascorbic acid.

4. Waited a day for ascorbic acid to work and then added sequesterant.

5. Increased cloudiness.

6. Started adding chlorine (regular bleach) back and now it is around 5+. Pump has been running 24/7, pool is balanced (ph 7.4, TA 70, CA 70 (although this was low and I had ot bring it up when I started adding chlorine back), calcium around 410 - a little high but has been this level since i started).

I only have about 2 feet of visibility..water is very opaque. Please help..wife wants to hire someone to clean it up and I just keep saying "filter will take care of it". I figured if the water is balanced it should clear up but it's been 3 days. There is a white, powder-looking substance floating on the surface which came about after I started adding the bleach in.

I thought it may be the ascorbic acid but the water started getting cloudy very quickly after I dropped the chlorine (before the ascorbic acid) and never really stopped.

The cloudiness is from the metal sequestrant and should clear up not just from filtering, but as you slowly raise the chlorine level. Give it a week though normally it does clear up in 3-4 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have suggested dropping your pH with the asorbic acid treatment. However sounds like a filtration problem. Could also be polymer clarifier. What is polymer clarifier??? Any clarifier that doesn't suggest double/triple dosing. Why? Polymers when in excess will actually cloud rather than clear. Use a natural chemistry product, they use enzymes, and you can't overdose enzymes, be prepared to do your filter service. You could also "flock" the pool, that will make the debris go to the bottom and you can vac it to waste, or to the filter and then clean the filter. You can double dose flock and see results overnight. If you flock remove the cleaner as it will kick the debris back to the surface,

You normally add PolyQuat 60 before letting the chlorine drop in order to prevent algae growth during the process. If the cloudiness is due to the metal sequestrant, then it should clear up in a day or two. If it is due to algae starting to grow, then you will need to carefully shock the pool, but you need to first lower the pH to 7.2 and slowly raise the chlorine level. Normally you don't want to shock the pool for at least a week after adding metal sequestrant so hopefully the cloudiness is just the sequestrant and not algae so that you don't need to shock. The ascorbic acid procedure is described here.