D.e. Filter Allows D.e. To Flow Back In Pool Upon Start

Gwoz

I am a new pool owner, however, have had help from relatives who are existing pool owners. We just begun maintenance and found that backwashing our Pentair FNS Plus, small amounts if any D.E. came out. Thought it was odd, stopped backwashing and proceeded to pour D.E. into filter. D.E. basically circulated right back into pool through all jets.

From my understanding their could be issues with the grids and such. I would appreciate if someone could give me an accurate description of what I should look for when taking my filter apart this weekend. Especially if someone has worked with this particular filter.

Thanks,

I am a new pool owner, however, have had help from relatives who are existing pool owners. We just begun maintenance and found that backwashing our Pentair FNS Plus, small amounts if any D.E. came out. Thought it was odd, stopped backwashing and proceeded to pour D.E. into filter. D.E. basically circulated right back into pool through all jets.

From my understanding their could be issues with the grids and such. I would appreciate if someone could give me an accurate description of what I should look for when taking my filter apart this weekend. Especially if someone has worked with this particular filter.

Thanks,

First take out the grids, clean out all DE from the grids using a water hose with a spray nozzle. Wash out the residue from the bottom of the filter tank. There will be a screw off drain cap on the bottom of the tank that will allow you to completely drain the tank. Be careful how you handle the grids, do not bang them around. Once they have been cleaned, examine them carefully for tears/fabric rips. If you find such a thing, toss that grid & replace it. Put filter back together carefully, make sure that the manifold thet holds the grids in place is totally seated, the O-ring seated flat, the tank band properly secured, then recharge filter with PROPER amount of DE, turn system on.

Common mistakes for DE filter owners that can cause DE to come into a pool are:

1. Putting in too much DE powder. This can cause the grids to over stretch, then to rip/tear.

2. Not securing the manifold cover correctly

3. Grids are old & brittle

Lastly I strongly suggest that you use a pool technician to do the proceedure above. It is common for tank O-rings to leak, for tank bands to be put on crooked causing leaks or potenial hazard if the top of the tank blows off.