Looking To Buy A Test Kit

duglynukem

I had no clue how little I really know about my hot tub until I read a few posts on this forum. I have had my Sundance Optima for 8 years. I have been using Baqua Spa as the sanitizer for all that time. After reading the problems and suggestions posted here, it appears that proper spa maintenance begins with a good test kit. I have been using test strips all these years and thinking I am state of the art :)

I would like a recommendation for the kit that would be the most useful to me. For now I intend to stay with the Baqua Spa sanitizer. I have read some very compelling discussions for chlorine and bromine systems here in this forum. I think if I ever changed the sanitizer, I would opt for the bromine because we use the tub once or twice a week and sometimes not for a couple weeks and the maintenance looks like a better fit for us.

I intend to Decon the tub first (Kids were home for Christmas holiday), then try to balance the water thanks to some very useful procedures I happened to see on Nitro's thread.

Thank you to all of you that take the time to assist those of us that need the help. Happy New year and happy hot tubbing to you all.

Best regards, Doug

I had no clue how little I really know about my hot tub until I read a few posts on this forum. I have had my Sundance Optima for 8 years. I have been using Baqua Spa as the sanitizer for all that time. After reading the problems and suggestions posted here, it appears that proper spa maintenance begins with a good test kit. I have been using test strips all these years and thinking I am state of the art :)

I would like a recommendation for the kit that would be the most useful to me. For now I intend to stay with the Baqua Spa sanitizer. I have read some very compelling discussions for chlorine and bromine systems here in this forum. I think if I ever changed the sanitizer, I would opt for the bromine because we use the tub once or twice a week and sometimes not for a couple weeks and the maintenance looks like a better fit for us.

I intend to Decon the tub first (Kids were home for Christmas holiday), then try to balance the water thanks to some very useful procedures I happened to see on Nitro's thread.

Thank you to all of you that take the time to assist those of us that need the help. Happy New year and happy hot tubbing to you all.

Best regards, Doug

Most people including myself are using a Taylor K2006 test kit. You can find them online for under $40 or most retail stores either carry them or can order it for you. It is an easy to use accurate kit that will test for most everything you will need.

The Taylor drop test for Baqua and hydrogen peroxide is the K-1725 which is very expensive. Since this poster hasn't been having any problems, continued use of the test strips is probably good enough. The most common issue with Baqua is getting white water mold after some time, but that can be alleviated by doing a decontamination procedure every few refills (at least once a year). There are also reports of certain spa component degradation in Baqua spas, but again, this poster isn't reporting any such problems.

The big advantage of the K-2006 is the FAS-DPD test. The poster is planning to use Baqua Spa so I don't think that they would need the K-2006. They need a test for Baqua , hydrogen peroxide, pH, TA and calcium.

It looks like I would need two kits. The K-1725 that Chem-Geek mentioned and another for pH, TA and calcium. Would it make sense to get the K-2006 to get pH and TA correct then use the strips primarily to test for Baqua?

I haven't had any equipment issues (knock-on-wood) to date. I do have fun trying to get pH stable initially. Although, I have gotten some enlightning tips from this site that will help in the future. Thanks again... Doug

• 2 weeks later...

So I bought a test kit at a local supplier. Its a Premier Test Kit by Poolmaster and has tests for Chlorine, pH, Alkalinity and Acid demand. I only paid $17.95 + tax. So do cheap kits work? Any difference in reagents?

The only other test I think I need is hardness and I can get that on the test strips.

I used Spa Flush - OMG - tons of foam when I added it to the tub. Yuck deposits above the waterline including on the pillows, that cleaned up easily when following the instructions on the bottle. The jets spin more freely than they have in years. So far a very positive experience.

I am presently filling the tub for the decon portion. I picked up a filter from an online source that said the pre-filter is just what I need for my well water. I will balance and add Chlorox unscented tonight and circulate for a couple hours.

Thanks, Doug

So I bought a test kit at a local supplier. Its a Premier Test Kit by Poolmaster and has tests for Chlorine, pH, Alkalinity and Acid demand. I only paid $17.95 + tax. So do cheap kits work? Any difference in reagents?

The only other test I think I need is hardness and I can get that on the test strips.

I used Spa Flush - OMG - tons of foam when I added it to the tub. Yuck deposits above the waterline including on the pillows, that cleaned up easily when following the instructions on the bottle. The jets spin more freely than they have in years. So far a very positive experience.

I am presently filling the tub for the decon portion. I picked up a filter from an online source that said the pre-filter is just what I need for my well water. I will balance and add Chlorox unscented tonight and circulate for a couple hours.

Thanks, Doug

Hmmmm you are lucky! I just paid $180. for a Taylor kit, which included UPS delivery charge.

Thanks, Doug

Hmmmm you are lucky! I just paid $180. for a Taylor kit, which included UPS delivery charge.

I reviewed the Taylor website, excellent selection of kits and replacement reagents. I thought I would try something from a local supplier. If it works out well, I saved some $ and get the same result (I hope).