Wrong Bleach!

sandi

Since it was time to switch from dichlor to bleach, I bought a fresh bottle of Clorox. Asked my husband to add 4 oz. to the spa and turn the jets on to circulate it (no 24-hour circ. pump). Went outside to check the spa 15 minutes later to find a tub full of bubbles!! Checked the bottle and had accidentally bought "splashless" Clorox! What's the extra ingredient that is causing all the bubbles and will they dissipate on their own? I really don't want to drain and refill since I just did it a few weeks ago. Any way to speed up getting rid of the bubbles??

Thanks.

Sandi

As you found out, you should not use "special" bleach products such as ones that are splashless or for outdoor use. These have thickeners in them and with aeration they can foam. Just scoop out the foam/bubbles, if possible, and eventually they will dissipate, probably in a few days. Get some 6% Clorox Regular bleach. If there is still foaming after a few days, then you can try one of the standard spa de-foaming products -- they might work. Also, if your calcium hardness is below 120 ppm, try raising it to that level as this can also reduce foaming. I don't think that will be necessary, however, as described in this thread where Greg accidentally used HE (high efficiency) bleach that was thicker and he said the following:

After using the "wrong bleach" I just had to give it a few days (and rinse the filter) and things are OK again, no foaming. So, just use REGULAR 6% Clorox bleach. Don't try anything else period!

As you found out, you should not use "special" bleach products such as ones that are splashless or for outdoor use. These have thickeners in them and with aeration they can foam. Just scoop out the foam/bubbles, if possible, and eventually they will dissipate, probably in a few days. Get some 6% Clorox Regular bleach. If there is still foaming after a few days, then you can try one of the standard spa de-foaming products -- they might work. Also, if your calcium hardness is below 120 ppm, try raising it to that level as this can also reduce foaming. I don't think that will be necessary, however, as described in this thread where Greg accidentally used HE (high efficiency) bleach that was thicker and he said the following:

After using the "wrong bleach" I just had to give it a few days (and rinse the filter) and things are OK again, no foaming. So, just use REGULAR 6% Clorox bleach. Don't try anything else period!

Well I guess I won't be the last to get caught with the wrong bleach. Not to worry, it will dissipate. You didn't add very much so scoop out the foam with jets on high and clean your filter. Give it a few days and all will be well. Don't bother with anti-foaming agents, I didn't. Stick with the regular Clorox bleach, just watch the packaging as they like to change the design on the labels etc.

Greg