So Many Chemical Brands...

jennaemac

We have had our Arctic Summit for about 3 weeks now and are enjoying it immensely!! I'm finding that with the amt of use, we are going through a lot of chemicals (shock, chlorine, alk up...) It seems that after about 1 hour of use by 2-3 people, the strip shows absolutely 0 chlorine. Is that normal? Does anyone have any input on what lines of chemicals are best or have a good reputation. We were of course given the whole arctic line with start up but it's not exactly conveinent for us to keep using them, just for accessibility reasons. Is it really necessary to keep using the chemicals that are made by my vendor? I have done some research and Leisure time and Spa essentials seem to come up the most. Any input?

Also, after carefully testing my water quite often, a sample taken to dealer was found to be quite off. (Low alkalinity, Low calcium hardness, almost no chlorine) I dont get why it seems my test strips werent telling me the same info. Is there a brand of test strips that are better? What about testing for total and Free cholorine...my strips test only total and it seems to me that free chlorine is more important. How often should we be testing for total dissolved solids? Obviously, right now the tub is getting lots of use. What about these "pH guards" some brands have? Does that really help stabilize things better, even with heavy use?

I have many questions, but I am starting to understand some of the relations of all these things I'm testing for. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Jenna

A lot of questions. That's great. Best thing to do is look back through posts here or other forums, like whatsthebesthottub. You'll gain a wealth of information from spaowners like yourself and spa business owners like me. Some owners swear by "TAYLOR" test kits. These can give you more accurate readings than the dip strips. They take a bit longer to perform the tests though. You can use other brand chemicals, just verify their ingredients or compare the ingredients to what's on your spa chemical label.

You're on the right track because you want to do it right. The learning curve is not infinite.