Peroxysan

Kevinjones#37

• 3 months later...
I am new to the hot tub world and recently purchased an arctic spa and have begun to use peroxysan. I have since read some horror stories about it and I am wondering if anyone has anything good to say about it...my tub is only 1 week old so far no problems....thanks

I have used a tub since last June and received lots of information from the selling dealer. Throw a cap of this a cap of that to the point I was throwing money out the window. I to have heard stories obut using peroxzan. One fellow used four gallons in less then two months. I went to the place I purchased my tub and purchased a cleaning solotion and followed the instructions. Then dumped my tub and washed it down with Peroxysan solution, cleaned the filter and refilled the tub. Using 1/2 gallon of perozsan.

All I can say is use of peroxsan has restored my faith in clean water. Most complaing I have heard about peroxsan is from people not clean there old clemicals out and as well using way way to much peroxsan

BiB Unit I use peroxysan and love it to peices I can see the bottom of the tub

Posts about Peroxysan on this forum include the following:

Peroxysan including some history

bart6453 says he had a bad experience with Peroxysan

HalifaxTub and bart6453 describe problems with Peroxysan; cramp11 is happy with it; James Keirstead does not recommend it; Sask Dunker had problems

cramp11 and bart6453 write more about Peroxysan

cramp11 experiences (and some others) about Peroxysan

kiamo switching from Peroxysan

Just note that Peroxysan is (mostly) hydrogen peroxide and this is NOT an EPA approved disinfectant for pools or spas. The only EPA approved disinfectants (which are those that pass the stringent EPA DIS/TSS-12) are chlorine, bromine, Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB and (only for spas) Nature2 with MPS.

Hydrogen peroxide is used as an oxidizer with Baquacil/biguanide/PHMB but it is the latter that is the disinfectant/sanitizer. Hydrogen peroxide does not kill pathogens quickly enough on its own. You will therefore never see it used in a commercial/public pool or spa, but residential pools and spas are not regulated and you can soak in raw sewage if you like -- the government doesn't care what you do.

The PAN pesticides database entry for Peroxysan is here where you can see that it is NOT registered with the EPA for use in either pools or spas. It's use as a disinfectant or sanitizer is for surfaces in very high concentrations. For comparison, note that 6% Clorox bleach shown here is a disinfectant allowed for "Swimming pool water", "Swimming pool water (wading pool)", "Hot tubs (outdoor) (water treatment)", "Spas (outdoor) (water treatment)".

By the way, if you use chlorine properly, you shouldn't only be able to see the bottom of a spa, but the bottom of a 6-foot deep pool as shown here and here. Crystal clear water clarity is not hard when using chlorine (and, of course, proper filtration -- note that this pool uses a cartridge filter).

For comparison, note that 6% Clorox bleach shown here is a disinfectant allowed for "Swimming pool water", "Swimming pool water (wading pool)", "Hot tubs (outdoor) (water treatment)", "Spas (outdoor) (water treatment)".

I think that it's interesting that they specify "Outdoor" for spas and hot tubs. I think that it could be related to either cyanuric acid or UV light.

Some places do not allow Cyanuric acid indoors and that could be one of the issues.

Also, the UV in sunlight will break down chloramines, so that could be another reason they seem to be avoiding specifying that the product is usable indoors.

Either way, I don't see any good reasons that they should specify "Outdoor" for spas and hot tubs.

The entry for Spa Guard Chlorinating Concentrate is similar in the "(outdoor)" designation. There doesn't seem to be an "(indoor)" or unqualified location on that databse so I wouldn't read much into it.