How often and how to change swimspa water

Guest Chris

I am taking over caring for my swimspa since the dogs keeps getting in and the poolservice (only one in area) quit because of this.

How often do I drain my swimspa and put in fresh water?

What is the best pump to use?

What do I clean the tub with?

How often do I clean the filter?

The draining part depends on what you're total dissolved solid's reading is. It varies depending on how much you use it, and how much filtration there actually is. For a normal spa-every three to four months is average. Since it is probably used for excercise as well as having dogs in it- I would recommend every 3 months or so- but get the water tested at a pool store for TDS. If you're reading is less than 2000, no worries, if it is around that level- drain and refill may be soon.

Any submersible electric pump should do the job...you can probably find a semi-decent one for 20 bucks

Filter maintenance: In a normal spa- once a week rinse off filter with garden hose- once a month chemically clean filter/s (soak overnight at least). You may need to do this more often depending on how much you let the dogs in. Rinsing should be done regularly though- no less than the above reccommendation with it being a swimspa with dogs. (This will reduce the chance of flow errors as well as keep your water clearer, and you will also see your filters lasting you longer. I would recommend getting a spare set to have for when you chemically clean them, and just for convienience.

From another site: Gallons divided by 3 divided by the maximum daily bathers equals the days between draining.

For example:

Based upon a maximum bather load of 2 bathers per day in a 500 gallon spa, you would need to completely drain the spa every 83 days.