Can This Water Be Saved?

frank r.

We just moved into a house with a 27' above ground pool. Unfortunately, the pool hasn't had any chemicals in the past 2 months or so, and the water is green to the point of not being able to see the bottom of the pool. We're in PA, so we won't be using the pool until next year, but I'd like to get this cleared up as well as possible before we winterize the pool.

What is our best course of action, or should we just winterize the pump/filter, cover the pool, and worry about it next year?

Thank you!

Well, yesterday I put in 3 lbs. of shock, and let the filter run overnight. Woke up this morning to perfectly clear water. It wasn't quite the disaster I thought it would be. However, now that the water is clear, I can see about 3" of leaves covering pretty much the entire bottom of the pool. Fun, fun, fun...

Thanks for the advice.

Before using the pool I would sudgest for shock treatment to kill all unwanted micro organism. The normal chlorine would be 1-2 ppm, to do the superchloronation you will rise it to 12 ppm for 2 days no swimming and then, check the chlorine level, if ok, then you can used the pool. :D:D:D

Well, yesterday I put in 3 lbs. of shock, and let the filter run overnight. Woke up this morning to perfectly clear water. It wasn't quite the disaster I thought it would be. However, now that the water is clear, I can see about 3" of leaves covering pretty much the entire bottom of the pool. Fun, fun, fun...

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like you lucked out in the algae department. B) After you scoop out the leaves, you might find organic stains on the bottom; again high chlorine levels will clear that up but it will probably take longer than the green water.

--paulr