1st Refill - Why Bromine Sooo High? Arctic Chemicals

RuBaDuB

Hi all, I just did our first refill of our tub and the bromine readings are off the chart high. So I drained 6" of the water and filled back up with new water and still really high. It's been about 3 hours since I finished adding chemicals and have run the pumps, cover off, with aeration on ever since to try and help bring the bromine down...but so far still reading 10+ on the Taylor test and strips. Any ideas what I did wrong? Or do I just have to wait it out?? Here's what I did in terms of Bromine...all Arctic Spas (Arctic Pure chemicals):

-1500L (399 gallon) tub

-drained water and cleaned shell with fresh water

-filled with 50% soft, 50% moderately hard water

-added 2 capfuls of Arctic Pure Boost (dry granular brominating product)

-added 1 capful of Refresh non-MPS shock

That's it...haven't even put the bromine floater in yet, wanted to wait for the initial bromine level to come down first.

Any ideas? Or is this normal and I just have to wait? I recall when the delivery guy started us up the first time, he added 2 caps of Boost and 2 caps of Refresh, and I don't recall crazy high readings then.

I have to say, I'm tempted to pee in the tub to try and burn off some of the bromine!! :P

Hi all, I just did our first refill of our tub and the bromine readings are off the chart high. So I drained 6" of the water and filled back up with new water and still really high. It's been about 3 hours since I finished adding chemicals and have run the pumps, cover off, with aeration on ever since to try and help bring the bromine down...but so far still reading 10+ on the Taylor test and strips. Any ideas what I did wrong? Or do I just have to wait it out?? Here's what I did in terms of Bromine...all Arctic Spas (Arctic Pure chemicals):

-1500L (399 gallon) tub

-added 2 capfuls of Arctic Pure Boost (dry granular chlorinating product)

That's it...haven't even put the bromine floater in yet, wanted to wait for the initial bromine level to come down first.

Any ideas? Or is this normal and I just have to wait? I recall when the delivery guy started us up the first time, he added 2 caps of Boost and 2 caps of Refresh, and I don't recall crazy high readings then.

I have to say, I'm tempted to pee in the tub to try and burn off some of the bromine!! :P

I don't see how you would have any bromine in your tub yet if that is all the chemicals you added. Instead I wonder if your test is picking up the chlorine from the boost product you added and you are reading that as bromine?

-1500L (399 gallon) tub

-added 2 capfuls of Arctic Pure Boost (dry granular chlorinating product)

I don't see how you would have any bromine in your tub yet if that is all the chemicals you added. Instead I wonder if your test is picking up the chlorine from the boost product you added and you are reading that as bromine?

sorry, Arctic Pure Boost that was added is granular bromine, not chlorine as I had copied/pasted before.

In any case, I think it's ok now. I got ahead of myself in a rush and hadn't adjusted the TA/pH before adding the bromine/shock....I think that messed up the test. Last night the TA/pH/bromine was really high. (TA=250, bromine=10++))...after i brought TA down to 120, bromine was reading about 4.