Hot Tub / Spa In The Garage

Hello,

I'm thinking about putting a hot tub in detached (separate from my home) garage, since I do not have any space in my backyard for one :( . The floor has been painted with concrete paint. We also use the garage's attic space for storage. I'm in the LA County area.

:wacko:

1. Are there certain permits I may need to apply to have a hot tub put in my garage? (or is it even permitted?)

2. If I can put one in, what type of preparations should I setup before putting in the tub? (ie. plumbing, ventilation fans, etc.)

2a. I will not be leaving the garage door open if the hot tub is in the garage, but there are currently two windows and a door in place that can be opened for ventilation. Can anyone recommend any brand/type of ventilation options that I should have installed for optimum ventilation?

3. What can I put in place in the garage to prevent moisture from collecting inside the garage or the storage space above, if needed?

4. Once the hot tub is installed, how should I seal the bottom of the hot tub to prevent water molding or damage under the hot tub? (or should I be asking the local spa dealer about proper sealing of the tub?)

Any suggestions, advice, or information provided will be much appreciated.

Thank you. :)

I can answer a few of these as my hot tub is in my garage.

1. I think all you really need is the electrical inspection.

2. If you live in a cold climate, make sure the steam can escape. I open 2 windows

and it makes a big difference. That should be all you need for ventilation. Again, in cold climates your tools will rust in the winter with the steam.

I cover everything up in plastic bags. I do have a ceiling fan a foot from the edge of the tub....It's nice in the summer, but you could get a floor-standing fan and

it would be cheaper. As for plumbing, I guess just make sure you have a long enough hose to fill it.

3. I know I sound like a broken record, but....if you live in a cold climate, get a forced-air propane heater. It REALLY cuts down on the steam, and it warms up the garage at the same time. I got one off Craigslist for $60

4. I'm not sure. I haven't done anything and I've never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...