Spa Blankets

huey graphite

With any "extra insulation" it will improve your efficincy,may it be very little or a substatial amount. I personally dont like a floating blanket, some of the chemicals slowly break the blanket down causing the water to be somewhat cloudy.

Got our 1/4 inch thick closed cell foam floating blanket from rhtubs.com. We did our last water change in early November and last weekend was the first time we have had to add water, so it has really slowed down evaporation. Also, the underside of the hard cover is always dry which has to prolong the life of the cover. And, since ours isn't the best insulated spa, I think it helps with what we're spending to keep the water hot in the winter. We have never noticed any cloudiness in the water. Prior to this blanket, we had an 1/8 inch thick foam blanket. It did start to tear after about 8 months - either from chemicals breaking down the foam or just from taking it on and off. Plus, it would bunch up when the jets were turned on to dissolve chemicals in the water. The thicker blanket cost more but is well worth it. We just fold it back over the hard cover when we open the spa, and it's rigid enough that it lifts up with the cover when the cover lifter does its thing.

Sandi

Eco_Spas is in the minority and I'm not really sure what empirical evidence he is basing his opinion on. Floating covers greatly enhance the effectiveness and life of a traditional spa cover. This comes from a spa cover manufacturer entering our 26th year that would be "incentivized" if you didn't use them and had to buy one of our covers more often. Your cover will last longer. You are not only introducing another layer of insulation, you are bringing it to water level which (if cut and fit correctly) will reduce most of the evaporation.

I hardly think floating blanket users are in the majority, especially happy ones. I think people who use one for much longer then a season or so are rare. Any nominal improvement in savings is quickly eaten up by the cost & inconvenience of using one. I’d look at one as an option as a patch, but certainly not a cure. It may also be an option for long term periods of non-use. Not very practical for daily use.

There really isn’t the need to re-invent the wheel… it’s a hot tub, water evaporates & it naturally cools down. Buy a quality tub to begin with and limit both.

I hope you keep us posted & let us know what you decide.

Good luck!

A floating blanket not only prolongs the life of your cover, but also your headrests and diverter/air handles, especially if you use ozone. I did not use a blanket for the first five years with my spa because I felt it would be inconveneint to use. I have now used one for the past year and a half and have found it not to be a problem. I also recommend the 1/4 inch foam blanket from rhtubs.

Any nominal improvement in savings is quickly eaten up by the cost & inconvenience of using one... Not very practical for daily use.

While I don't use my spa every day, I have to disagree with these statements. First, benefit vs. cost. It would be difficult to measure how much heat is escaping with and without the blanket. But I can see with my own 2 eyes that, without the blanket, my insulating cover was always covered with condensation on the underside. That condensation has to eventually make its way into the foam of the hard cover, making it heavier to lift and causing it to sag so it becomes inefficient. With the blanket, the underside of the cover is completely dry. $320 for a new hard cover vs/ $60 for a blanket that could double the life of the hard cover is pretty much a no brainer to me. As to the inconvenience, it's pretty inconvenient for me to lug 20 buckets of hot water down a complete flight of stairs (house is up on pilings) from my laundry room to the back yard or to fetch the garden hose from the shed, connect it to the kitchen sink faucet, remove the screen in the kitchen window, run the hose all the way from the kitchen out to the tub to add water, then put everything back after refilling. With the blanket, we have only had to add water one time in 4 months (again, we don't use it every day) - the blanket really cuts down on evaporation. Finally, opening and closing the spa with the blanket is no big deal - 2-3 seconds tops. To open - fold back the first half of the hard cover onto the lifter, fold the blanket back onto the hard cover (the 1/4 inch blanket is rigid enough that when you grab one edge to fold it back, it lifts all the way across), then use the lifter to lift the rest of the cover and the blanket at the same time. To close - lay the blanket on the spa (took someone's suggestion in another thread and didn't cut it - just left it as a square so it lays on the shell on the 4 sides and on the water in the middle), then close the hard cover. Bottom line IMO, the inconvenience is nominal, the benefits aren't.

Sandi

My comment about Eco_spas being in the minority had to do with whether people thought they offered any negligible benefit. I am aware that many choose not to use them for cost and/or convenience issues, but as many people have found, the use of them extends the life of other components in your spa. Of those who know what a floating cover is and what it does, many agree that it is a benefit.

My comment about Eco_spas being in the minority had to do with whether people thought they offered any negligible benefit. I am aware that many choose not to use them for cost and/or convenience issues, but as many people have found, the use of them extends the life of other components in your spa. Of those who know what a floating cover is and what it does, many agree that it is a benefit.

Shaamus I never said a blanket didnt prolong the life of a cover, nor that they didnt offered any benefit. I said "I PERSONALLY dont like them" they breakdown and are very inconveneint and IMO is not a product I like.

Eco, I think Shaamus was referring to some of my comments. I understand that some believe that a blanket helps, but I just don’t feel the “majority” of people do. Not only would they be more commonly used, but they would also likely be offered from manufacturers. I see neither.

I have a Tiger River tub outside on my deck. I live in Delaware, so granted, it is very Mid-Atlantic. As for evaporation, our tub is used 4-7 times a week by me & the wife, sometimes our 11 year old. I find every 6-8 weeks I need to add 1-2 inches of water, either by a garden hose or a hose from the kitchen faucet out the window. I also change the entire tub every 3-4 months. I don’t consider that much at all. Some people might.

I also do not concur that the blankets will add much life to your cover. Our 1st tub was 12 years old, with it’s original top... the people we gave it to still use it & have the same top. I take care of my tubs, sometimes too much maybe.

We all have different needs, dislikes & tolerances. I just prefer the ease of use with no added foam blankets, etc. to get in the way. I understand some may have more of a need for such a thing. I also find that I just don’t have many of the issues such as evaporation, heat lose, etc. that many others have. I’ll consider myself lucky, not wiser.

Good Luck!