Low Ta - Normal To High Ph - Confused

Yunus

So I have in my 380 gallon spa a TA of about 40-80 but appears to be closer to 40 which my test strips say is low. My PH is 7.8 which the test strips say is normal but the next step up 8.4 is high. I use Sodium Bicarbonate to raise TA/PH and Sodium Bisulfate to lower PH/TA. Well how do I raise TA without also raising PH?

I know on this board or somewhere I saw a chart in the past that gave scenarios and mine was one and it said what to do but I have searched everywhere and can not seem to find it. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

First, don't expect to get accurite TA/pH readings from test strips. Get a drop test kit such as the Taylor brand instead.

Second, DO NOT raise your TA if your pH is in the correct range. The only reason to raise TA is if your pH is too low (<7.2) and doesn't rise via aeration.

Go HERE for a full explaination.

First, don't expect to get accurite TA/pH readings from test strips. Get a drop test kit such as the Taylor brand instead.

Second, DO NOT raise your TA if your pH is in the correct range. The only reason to raise TA is if your pH is too low (<7.2) and doesn't rise via aeration.

Go HERE for a full explaination.

I completely agree that the test strips are almost useless. My aquacheck yellow strips read a fc level of zero until the actual level is >5ppm. I didn't know this until I got the test kit. The TA reading is ballpark at best, and I can never tell much difference between the 7.8ph color and 8.4ph color on those strips. I still use the strips that check for MPS levels.

In an earlier post I incorrectly credited spa tech instead of Nitro for the excellent post (link above) on water balancing. This is a post worth printing and saving for future reference.