Umbrellas

elbrecht

Last October just as I was finishing up setting up our Hottub Limulus posted about a deal he found on ebay for a patio umbrella.

[ this thread http://www.poolspaforum.com/forum/index.ph...amp;hl=umbrella ]

I remembered it tonight as we were out in a driving sleet-storm with friends. [it was supposed to snow- we'd made the plans- so what the heck.]

When I came in I plugged "hot tub umbrella" into the ebay search engine and found a bunch of $300 umbrellas. Then I tried "offset umbrella" and the price dropped to $80 [with free shipping].

I already ordered one, but if Limulus drops in I hope he'll say how his held up- and if it was from the guy in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.

Jim

I was notified that you left a note in my comments section. Yes, we still have ours and it looks like new. If I get into the tub tonight I'll be using it. It is very large but easy to operate. These umbrellas do have a T shaped stand that is designed to be held stable by using some large tiles or heavy stepping stones. Also, you could get one of these: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ER&v=glance

You will definitely need something for the base or the wind will blow it over.

I'm very interested in one of these. My local HS dealer offered a Leisure Concepts model for $550. I nearly swallowed my gum. Checked around online, and that's the same price I can get that particular model through the web.

My question is this: I'm interested in the umbrella to keep the rain off, not sun. My spa will go into an area that is in nearly perpetual shade, but it is open to the elements. Do you think one of these ebay numbers could hold up to rain? I'm not planning to use it in a downpour, but we do get serious rain occasionally here in Oregon. ;)

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!

Raeven

We've only used ours in the rain. When not in use, it's closed. The crank mechanism was my main concern when I ordered it but it has been excellent. It's only about 3-4 months old but so far so good. I figure if it lasts two years, I got a steal. Also the burgundy color on ours has held up and it's a very nice color. As I posted last night, you must get a weighted base that fills with water or some nice heavy stepping stones for support. That's going to be required for any of these offset umbrellas. It's also 10ft in diameter and that can catch a lot of wind. The umbrella itself will pivot but still a brisk wind can do some damage...keep it closed when not in use.

Hi, limulus,

Thanks for letting me know. They look virtually the same as the ones Leisure Concepts sells, the main difference being how they are weighted. Leisure Concepts does have a good idea in that respect -- the umbrella has a foot that is placed directly under the spa. It spares people tripping over the weight system, and that umbrella is going nowhere! Well, the umbrella might, but the stand is sticking around.

One question: Is there any way to unhook and remove the umbrella from the stand? We don't get many high winds, but when we do, they're impressive. It would be nice to be able to completely detach the umbrella.

Thanks again! I may order one today!

Raeven

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, hoping that I can piggyback on this post.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, and got a second hand hot tub a little over a year ago. The umbrella that came with it was not in good shape, and is no longer usable.

I know that the "you get what you pay for" rule applies here, and for a hot tub used in a part of the country that rains 9 months a year, spending more on a good umbrella makes good sense. But I just don't have it at the moment.

My question is, will one of the cheapo offset umbrellas (under $100) from ebay or Amazon do the trick? Or will they just fall apart in 6 months? As I saw someone else here write, if I could get 2 years out of an $80 umbrella, that would be great. I hope to be able to buy a better umbrella in the future. But for now, i just need an umbrella to get me through the rainy winter!

Thanks in advance,