Help! Artesian Heater Problem, Getting Cold Fast!

chadwick02

Help!

Ive been away on vacation for 3 weeks. I got back yesterday and checked on my spa – the waters reading 34 degrees!!! On top of that we are in for a real cold streak for the next few days.

Here’s what I know:

- It’s a 2001 artesian piper glen 505 gallon tub.

- It has a dedicated circulation circuit with a filter and pump that constantly run water through the heater core. That pump is still running, and water is flowing (but slower than normal now), I imagine the hoses are beginning to freeze up.

- The spa pack has written on it: Gecko and MSPA

- Outside air temp is about 20 during the day, about zero at night for the past few days.

- I had a friend check my house and tub while I was away. 4 days ago it was where I set it – 60 degrees, so it has failed in the last few days.

- I put a multi-meter on the 2 black leads coming out of the heater coil (one at the top of the coil and one at the bottom of the coil). Reading 240 volts AC.

- If I connect the multi meter to ground and then to only one of the black wires, I read about 120v on each black wire.

- With power disconnected, I’m reading a resistance through the heater coil of about 10 ohms.

- I dropped a 1500 watt animal stock tank HEATER into the middle of the tub. The heater is thermostatically controlled to be on when the water temp is below 80, and turn off at 100 degrees. It is rated for 300 gallons, but I’d imagine it should be enough to keep this from turning into a large ice cube.

From what I can tell the heater is getting voltage, correct? What should I do from here??

Thanks everyone,

Chad