Supplys Needed

White cobra

I am in the process of setting up a used Leisure Bay hot tub. I plan on going and picking up the chems and filter I need this weekend. What would I need to get a good start on supplys? I know that I want some system flush and a drop test kit and some form of chlorine. I may get some test strips instead, depends on the price of a drop test kit.

I wouldn't go buy a bunch of chemicals until you know exactly what you need. Definitely get a drop test kit such as the Taylor K-2006 (for chlorine), so you can test your water and find out where you are.

If you're going the chlorine route, here are the minimum requirements you need for now. Don't let the sales people talk you into buying any other chemicals (or junk). You don't need them.

Drop Test Kit (K-2006). If you're serious about water maintenance, and can afford it.

Get Free Chlorine Test strips (AquaCheck 3in1). They come in handy for getting quick FC estimates.

Dichlor. This is the sanitizer.

Dry Acid (aka pH Down). You most likely will need this to lower your Total Alkalinity (TA).

If you haven't filled your tub yet, and you have really bad Hell (I mean Well) water, you may want to consider these.

Pre-filter to attach to your hose before filling.

Calcium Increaser. (If you have a water softener, fill your tub from it. Then add Calcium, because the WS removes it.)

Then go HERE and read up on how to maintain your water. Again, don't buy a bunch of chemicals, you don't need. You're better off spending that money on a good drop test kit, which will help you more than anything else you can buy.

I wouldn't go buy a bunch of chemicals until you know exactly what you need. Definitely get a drop test kit such as the Taylor K-2006 (for chlorine), so you can test your water and find out where you are.

If you're going the chlorine route, here are the minimum requirements you need for now. Don't let the sales people talk you into buying any other chemicals (or junk). You don't need them.

Drop Test Kit (K-2006). If you're serious about water maintenance, and can afford it.

Get Free Chlorine Test strips (AquaCheck 3in1). They come in handy for getting quick FC estimates.

Dichlor. This is the sanitizer.

Dry Acid (aka pH Down). You most likely will need this to lower your Total Alkalinity (TA).

If you haven't filled your tub yet, and you have really bad Hell (I mean Well) water, you may want to consider these.

Pre-filter to attach to your hose before filling.

Calcium Increaser. (If you have a water softener, fill your tub from it. Then add Calcium, because the WS removes it.)

Then go HERE and read up on how to maintain your water. Again, don't buy a bunch of chemicals, you don't need. You're better off spending that money on a good drop test kit, which will help you more than anything else you can buy.

Thanks Nitro, I am on city water, so should be good to go there. I have read & saved & printed out that thread on water maintaince. That is the reason I asked about supplys here, because dont want to buy alot of chems I don't need!

When you get the drop kit, do a thorough analysis of your water. Then you'll know what procedure to take to balance your water. "Usually" TA is on the higher side (>100 ppm) and "usually" needs to be brought down (~80, or less) to keep pH in control. That's why I suggested Dry Acid. Also check your Calcium. If it's below 80 ppm, get a 5 lbs bucket of Calcium Increaser. It's cheap and should last you a year or more, depending on how low your tap water is.

Dichlor, Dry Acid and maybe Calcium are the only neccessry chemcals you'll actually need to buy from a supply store or dealer. To increase TA, you just use plain ol' Baking Soda. If you go the Dichlor/Bleach method (explained in my post), you'll really cut down on the Dichlor you use, and just need to buy Bleach. Other than that, you may want to add Borates (explained in my post) using a product called "Gentle Spa" that you get online, or plain ol' Borax and Acid.

When you get this maintenance thing down, you rarely need to buy chems. The only thing I buy on a regular basis is Bleach, if you call once every month or two a regular basis.