Cement Slab Question

cindy_girl

I'm talking to cement guys about laying down my cement slab. The problem I am having is that I have filled in a gunite spa with fill sand and the old spa had a brick boarder. The new spa will overlap onto the area where I have bricks. So far, two guys have said that I don't need to pull the bricks up and that the spa can sit on top of them. However, the bricks are not perfectly even. Also, past the bricks (where the spa will reach) there is a slight slope in the concrete that is there.

This is driving me crazy! I read the installation instructions and it said a "flat 4 inch reinforced cement slab is the only acceptable surface" for placing the spa on the ground. It did not say "almost flat" or "some bumps are okay" or "this rule does not apply to bricks".

So, why do people act like I'm a dork when I say I want a flat, four inch, reinforced slab? Do I need to pull up the bricks and sloping cement and replace it with a proper pad or not?

If you think you know, please chime in.

Do I need to pull up the bricks and sloping cement and replace it with a proper pad or not?

If you think you know, chime in.

It sure would be wise to take out the brick and pour the slab the size of the bottom of the spa.

I have tried to work with seams, expansion joints, bricks, areas that abut older slabs, none of it works well.

Go with your gut.

Try this with your cement people:

"I have had four or five other people out here who didn't want me to put money in their hand. I'm hoping you will. Here is exactly what I'm willing to pay you to do for me..."

B)

It sure would be wise to take out the brick and pour the slab the size of the bottom of the spa.

I have tried to work with seams, expansion joints, bricks, areas that abut older slabs, none of it works well.

B)

Hi Chas,

Thank you for replying. I'm glad to hear that someone who has done it before sees the same problem I see. I tend to be obsessive sometimes, so I wasn't sure if I was right.

One of the guys said he thinks there is gunite under the bricks and even if he pulled out the bricks, he couldn't pull out the gunite. Now, I'm wondering about this because I, myself, was able to use a jack hammer and drill drainage holes in the floor of the old spa. (I had to do this myself due to the fact that when I spoke of drainage, I got the same "you're a dork" attitude. I tried to explain that I don't know how long everything will take, and so I need drainage blah blah blah, but . . I'm getting off the subject.)

So is it possible to remove the gunite enough to allow for a full four inches of cement? Also, will any gunite left be okay under the cement? Any helpfull insight will be appreciated.

My advice would be to consult with a Structural Engineer. Most concrete crews understand the basic concepts of placing concrete and are generally not qualified to give engineering advice. My experience with contractors is they want to do as little as possible and you should give exact details of all work to be done. Under the circumstances you described the extra cost would sure give you piece of mind.

I'm talking to cement guys about laying down my cement slab. The problem I am having is that I have filled in a gunite spa with fill sand and the old spa had a brick boarder. The new spa will overlap onto the area where I have bricks. So far, two guys have said that I don't need to pull the bricks up and that the spa can sit on top of them. However, the bricks are not perfectly even. Also, past the bricks (where the spa will reach) there is a slight slope in the concrete that is there.

This is driving me crazy! I read the installation instructions and it said a "flat 4 inch reinforced cement slab is the only acceptable surface" for placing the spa on the ground. It did not say "almost flat" or "some bumps are okay" or "this rule does not apply to bricks".

So, why do people act like I'm a dork when I say I want a flat, four inch, reinforced slab? Do I need to pull up the bricks and sloping cement and replace it with a proper pad or not?

If you think you know, please chime in.

Don't give up on what you want. You also need to consider the warrantee you'll be getting on your new spa. If you have any structural problems (spa surface,etc.), they'll relate it to an improper foundation, and not warrantee it. Good luck.