Do We Want To Put Insulation Between Concrete Pad And Spa?

Akaipaps

I have another newbie question. We just put down our deposit on a Sundance Certa. We're going to place it on our existing concrete patio underneath our second floor deck. So, do we want to put down some sort of insulating material between the spa and the cement to help keep heat from being lost in that direction? I know that heat prefers to travel upward, but it also seems like cement likes to draw heat out of things.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have another newbie question. We just put down our deposit on a Sundance Certa. We're going to place it on our existing concrete patio underneath our second floor deck. So, do we want to put down some sort of insulating material between the spa and the cement to help keep heat from being lost in that direction? I know that heat prefers to travel upward, but it also seems like cement likes to draw heat out of things.

Consider floor drainage, and also how the insulation will fare when it gets wet due to leaks.

There's no need to add extra insulation on the bottom. The Sundance is a full foam tub, and I belive it also has a liner on the bottom.

I've heard of some folks putting a pad under thier tub to help isloate pump vibrations if the tub is placed on a deck, but that's more typical on a thermal pane tub. The full foam tubs dampen the pump vibaration a bit better.

you'll be fine. :)

I'm a hot utb newbie- but have studied heat loss for a couple decades. First off- heat travels towards the cold. Hot air & hot water rise.

Cement is a good conductor of heat- but you have a couple inches of wood between the heated side of the cabinet and the cement. That R2 or so is probably good enough.

I insulated the floor of my cabinet, but wouldn't want anything under it that would hold moisture. It might be fun to put a bunch of sensors under a tub in the soil and see how far down the heat traveled.

Another thing to consider if you're in the frozen north. Suppose you got enough insulation under your tub so it lost no heat through the bottom. Then frost gets below it- heaves it unevenly and cracks the shell. [don't know if that could happen in real life- but in theory it could]

Jim