Adjust Water Chemistry Cold Or At Temp?

limulus

Myself, I do everything after its full, while its still cold.

AFAIK, the only thing temp has to do with balancing (that we care about) is disipate chlorine... which actually won't affect how your balance your tub initially anyways. Even if thats not 100% correct, it can take hours for your tub to heat up. Do your really want 500 gallons of luke-warm water sitting there without sanitizers operating in a chemicaly effective environment? :) I sure don't.

Most water chemistry tests are designed for room temperature -- in the 72-80F range -- but the only tests that are fairly sensitive to temperature are the CYA test and to some extent the pH test (pH changes with temperature, dropping by 0.14 when going from 80F to 104F). Generally speaking, you can let your water come closer to room temperature before performing the test, but this isn't critical.

Most water chemistry tests are designed for room temperature -- in the 72-80F range -- but the only tests that are fairly sensitive to temperature are the CYA test and to some extent the pH test (pH changes with temperature, dropping by 0.14 when going from 80F to 104F). Generally speaking, you can let your water come closer to room temperature before performing the test, but this isn't critical.

pH changing with temp is something I was pretty sure about, so thanks for confirming that.