Need Estimate; Replace Raybak Heater Digital Board

yanks1

we have a 10-11 year Raybak propane heater for our in-gound pool. Got a prelim estimate of $400-500 to replace board if indeed it is bad as the digital read-out is stating. We live in Northern NJ, does this seem reasonable or out of whack? Seems high to me

Also, about how much would an entire new Heater unit cost installed? Pool is approx 24K Gallons

Tom

we have a 10-11 year Raybak propane heater for our in-gound pool. Got a prelim estimate of $400-500 to replace board if indeed it is bad as the digital read-out is stating. We live in Northern NJ, does this seem reasonable or out of whack? Seems high to me

Also, about how much would an entire new Heater unit cost installed? Pool is approx 24K Gallons

Tom

That is good price for the repair. raypack as upgraded the parts to a single board to control the entire heater. At that age what does the bottom of the heater look like, you can see it by removing the door on the front. If it has a lot of rust or is rusted out replace it. Also at that age I would reallt think about replacing the entire unit. Most heater are around the $2300 range not installed. If you do replace get one that is 84% effcient, your is probable around 75%. Do not get a Jandy LX heater, they are a disaster. Hayward makes a nice heater at 84%

Tom

Thats a good price. I would look at the overall condition of the heater, the bottom is most likely rotted. If it is you'd be better off replacing the whole thing. A replacement Raypak 335k is about $3300 installed

thanks to both repliers....

yes, the inside bottom area is heavily rusted. Issue is no way I want to spend $3K on a new heater

for our pool. In fact, we may be selling our house in next year or two to head South. We use the heater no more than 9-10x per year. Pool is in 7-8 hours of Sun for most of pool season and we primarily use it for the connected SPA early & late in the year like now (which we do miss right now)

perhaps we'll chance it and replace the board & see what happens..

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

update... we also discoverd our heat exchange tubes were leaking therefore causing the heavy rust built up at bottom of heater. That said, the local company gave us decent estimate for new Raybak 336K BTU heater. Completely installed it for $2K... so all'n all not bad for a new quality heater and now we'll continue to use the SPA through October.

I assume it's Ok to cover main pool but keep filter & chemicals running to keep leaves out while we enjoy our SPA over next 3-4 weeks? Then before closing pool remove cover and vacuum one last time. and thx again for the earlier comments & thoughts

Tom