Spa Pilot

Nitro

I don't see anywhere in that thread answering whether or not CYA is raised by using SWG's, which is my main question. Maybe you could point me to where it is.

Hmm, seemed like input on users experiences with the Spa-Pilot was your main question and the question about CYA was an "also."

In any event, CYA is not created or used up by a SWG. SWGers take salt and break out the chlorine basically. Spa-Pilot recommends having a CYA level of 50 and colorchlor doesn't suggest the need for any. There is a suggestion that having no CYA *could* help contribute to corrosion but each case where that occured also had very high FC levels (usually because the owner left the SWG on 100% and forgot about it).

According to the Spa-Pilot manual CYA is only needed in outdoor uncovered spas but since other benefits of CYA are found all over this forum and also due to the potential protection from corrosion it seems best to have a CYA level of at least 20 and up to about 50 with the Spa-Pilot. The Spa-Pilot startup salt has CYA in it to bring a spa 400 gal or less to about that level.

Mark

Hmm, seemed like input on users experiences with the Spa-Pilot was your main question and the question about CYA was an "also."

Either way it was a question that was not answered in that thread, which was the reason I posted it. I asked about people's experience to see if anymore people used it.

In any event, CYA is not created or used up by a SWG. SWGers take salt and break out the chlorine basically. Spa-Pilot recommends having a CYA level of 50 and colorchlor doesn't suggest the need for any. There is a suggestion that having no CYA *could* help contribute to corrosion but each case where that occured also had very high FC levels (usually because the owner left the SWG on 100% and forgot about it).

According to the Spa-Pilot manual CYA is only needed in outdoor uncovered spas but since other benefits of CYA are found all over this forum and also due to the potential protection from corrosion it seems best to have a CYA level of at least 20 and up to about 50 with the Spa-Pilot. The Spa-Pilot startup salt has CYA in it to bring a spa 400 gal or less to about that level

Thanks for that answer. Although, I don't know why you just didn't post that to begin with. :rolleyes:

In any event, correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the Spa Pilot is the ideal low maintanance sanitizer. But there doesn't seem to be many people using it, or talking about it.