Newb Question About Used Tub

firebrand

I have never owned a hot tub before, and have only been in one or two in my life. Today, my brother called me to let me know a friend of his was selling a Gulf coast spa. He's not sure of the model, but It's a 6 seater, bought just under 4 years ago. The price when new was about $5,000, and he is asking $1,000 for the tub and all elect. pannels and acc. that go with it. He claims to have had very little issue with it, has taken very good care of it, maintained it well, and is in perfect working order, filled with water and he invites inspection. Reason for selling is a probable move, so he is downsizing many of the "luxuries" he has. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome, as I will most likely be checking it out tomorrow.

In my honest and humble opinion, I'd say check it out and see if you like it. If you do, you won't find a better price. If anything is wrong, you can usually find replacement parts on the net.

I personally advised a friend of mine a month or two ago to buy a used tub, that had known issues for a little more than the one you ask about. We felt we could make the repairs for a lot less than buying new.... Hey if you like it, what a great and inexpensive way to get a hot tub in your yard!

I have never owned a hot tub before, and have only been in one or two in my life. Today, my brother called me to let me know a friend of his was selling a Gulf coast spa. He's not sure of the model, but It's a 6 seater, bought just under 4 years ago. The price when new was about $5,000, and he is asking $1,000 for the tub and all elect. pannels and acc. that go with it. He claims to have had very little issue with it, has taken very good care of it, maintained it well, and is in perfect working order, filled with water and he invites inspection. Reason for selling is a probable move, so he is downsizing many of the "luxuries" he has. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome, as I will most likely be checking it out tomorrow.

The key is it is available for inspection. Make sure when you visit you are doing so on a dry day so you can be sure the pad around it is dry. Try everything out. Gulf Coast may not be a top of the line spa and will be be well insualted but $1000 is not bad for a used working spa that can be inspected.

Thanks for the opinions guys! Looks like tomorrow will be the inspection day. I just discovered that the tub was drained a little over a month ago for water replacement, and left empty while the owner was on an extended vacation. He filled it yesterday and is currently heating it to show that the tub is in in good condition and fully operational. I will ask the all important question about cost to operate in winter months when I see it. I was unaware that Gulf coast was an inferior product, and was poorly insulated. :( maybe in the end, I will pass it by.