Total Alkalinity

Ep7735

I had to drain my hot tub because my husband came down with a Staph infection - still up in the air if it was hot tub related. Dr. doesn't think so, but I think probably.

Anyway, I'm trying to get the total alkalinity correct - last time I never could. What chemicals can I add to get total alkalinity to lower? my test strips are coming back blue although the strip is supposed to be in the yellow-green range...so I'm assuming its high. I've been adjusting it for the last hour in a half (adding 1.5 tsp every 30 mins like the directions say)....but the test strip still stays blue.

Any suggestions on how to get this alkalinity lowered? thanks

I'm having the same problem on a new water fill. I had added a little baking soda because my TA seemed low and now the test strip is blue and the Ph is in the normal range. How do you lower TA without lowering Ph? Also, I just used a Phosphate buffer for the first time and am wondering if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks,

I'm having the same problem on a new water fill. I had added a little baking soda because my TA seemed low and now the test strip is blue and the Ph is in the normal range. How do you lower TA without lowering Ph? Also, I just used a Phosphate buffer for the first time and am wondering if this has anything to do with it.

Thanks,

You can, but it is a process not just a chemical.

There are more comprehensive descriptions of this process in other threads, but basically you can use acid to reduce TA (and pH -- this is a consequence) then use aeration to increase pH to compensate for the drop in pH.

Aeration is done by leaving the cover off, recirculating continuously, running the pumps with jets pointed to the surface of the water, and running the bubbler if you have one.

WaterBeast