Pool Negotiations.... How Do You Do It And How Much Can You Get Off

Got a few pool bids. What is the next step, some of the numbers seem a little high compared to a few of the other people I know that have gotten pools recently. Once you receive a bid can you haggle? If so how much, I don't want to go against the norm. Can some other owners help by providing a few of their experiences or tips on how their process went. Thanks! :unsure:

Got a few pool bids. What is the next step, some of the numbers seem a little high compared to a few of the other people I know that have gotten pools recently. Once you receive a bid can you haggle? If so how much, I don't want to go against the norm. Can some other owners help by providing a few of their experiences or tips on how their process went. Thanks! :unsure:

Anyone got some stories or tips?

I am new here and just starting to get bids on a new pool. I can tell you that one company we got a quote from immediately took 15% off to try to get us to sign with them. We also have some friends getting bids and they got 15% off the price when they negotiated signing a contract. I am sure it will depend on what area you are in and how busy the companies are right now but I would try and see what they say!! Good luck

I am new here and just starting to get bids on a new pool. I can tell you that one company we got a quote from immediately took 15% off to try to get us to sign with them. We also have some friends getting bids and they got 15% off the price when they negotiated signing a contract. I am sure it will depend on what area you are in and how busy the companies are right now but I would try and see what they say!! Good luck

Thanks... 15% may seem like a lot anyone else get close to 15% off?

Thanks... 15% may seem like a lot anyone else get close to 15% off?

Anyone???

We got bids from a few different builders. I did an apples-to-apples comparison as much as possible. Went back to them and had some things clarified or changed.

In the end we went with the builder we were most comfortable with and gave us the best deal for our money right off the bat. I dislike the notion of the builder padding their price by 15% just to "discount" it later.

Hello all,

I have completed a spa deck installation where the only sub I had was a concrete guy for the tub pad.

Now I am getting ready to put in a San Juan Phoenix pool. I am doing a significant amount of the work myself but found this out about the contractors in my NC area. All of them, concrete, tree removal, electrician, crane operator and pool installer have given a 5-10% labor discount if I pay with cash. I'm sure due to tax reporting. It goes to mention that I have broken out most of the "pool installers" services by getting my own quotes for the required support services. It's a pain and you have to stay on top of the coordination but I have brought my turn key pool price down from 48K to 31K. When the project gets into full swing I'll post some pics.

We got bids from a few different builders. I did an apples-to-apples comparison as much as possible. Went back to them and had some things clarified or changed.

In the end we went with the builder we were most comfortable with and gave us the best deal for our money right off the bat. I dislike the notion of the builder padding their price by 15% just to "discount" it later.

I got a -$500 of the $35K price today, not much of a discount but therir price is competitive.

Hello all,

I have completed a spa deck installation where the only sub I had was a concrete guy for the tub pad.

Now I am getting ready to put in a San Juan Phoenix pool. I am doing a significant amount of the work myself but found this out about the contractors in my NC area. All of them, concrete, tree removal, electrician, crane operator and pool installer have given a 5-10% labor discount if I pay with cash. I'm sure due to tax reporting. It goes to mention that I have broken out most of the "pool installers" services by getting my own quotes for the required support services. It's a pain and you have to stay on top of the coordination but I have brought my turn key pool price down from 48K to 31K. When the project gets into full swing I'll post some pics.

Hello all,

First time on a forum hope i'm doin it right. That's a big difference in cost! what all did you sub out? Did you have any problems with the pool contractor not letting you get your own subs?

First time on a forum hope i'm doin it right. That's a big difference in cost! what all did you sub out? Did you have any problems with the pool contractor not letting you get your own subs?

Sorry for the delay in answering.

The first San Juan distributor only wanted to do complete turn key. I emailed San Juan corporate and told them I wasn't getting any support on owner DIY like their web site boasts about. After the email, all the area San Juan dealers called me asking what they could do for me. I have taken virtually all the responsibility out of the pool contractors hands. He is going to get the pool to my house, dig the hole, set the pool, and back-fill as the local Fire Department fills my pool from the hydrate after a 400.00 donation. Plus the kids get to play on the truck!

I have responsibility for the rest. I have "made friends" with a concrete guy, electrician, equipment/pump/filter/solar heating panels (all eBay) plumbing (me) and all my local inspectors and the permitting office. Plus I was able to shave about 600.00 off of the crane charge by shopping around.

If you start letting your friends, neighbors, co-workers know you are putting in a pool, you will be surprised at the amount of help you can find.

With all that said I am on record here saying DO NOT OVER ESTIMATE YOUR ABILITIES, if you can't do some of the physical labor or negotiate with contractors without getting emotional then don't. Maybe you have a friend that's a project manager or such, I've found that saving money is all in negotiating, the contractors want the business as bad as you want the pool.

Another point, get everything in writing EXCATLY as you want it.

Example: Pool guys says "stump removal adds 60.00 an hour per stump plus machine charge" I say "whats the machine charge" Pool guy "varies" I say "I've got 27 trees coming out, 17 of which you need to remove the stumps" Pool guy " Worst case is three dump truck loads and all labor plus machine charges add 650.00" I say "fine but not a penny more even if you need ten dump trucks because the roots go all the way to downtown Charlotte"

You get the point, put the risk on the subs as much as possible and make them sign up for the project in writing, always hold at least 10% until you are COMPLETLY satisfied. Respond to the "we will come back and take care of that next week" with I'll pay you the rest of your contract when you come back next week"

It is by no means easy and you have to be able to push back on the contractors telling you this is just the way it is, There's no reason to get emotional, it's just business but it's your money be tough with it.

Sorry for the rant, I get passionate about trying to help folks get the most for their money, I'm off the soap box and hope I answered your question.

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."

Benjamin Franklin