Electrochlorinator Project

Love this stuff - I'm just lurking here and I doubt that I will ever use this info to build anything but I do enjoy the reading and it's great to understand why SWclGs are so expensive.

I'll be waiting to see if you ever get this going like you want it!

• 2 months later...

Okay I got it plugged in this season. No material changes to the hardware itself, but through the spring refill and various backwashings, rain, etc. the salt concentration has dropped to about 2500ppm. This is plan B, to regulate amps through reduced electrolyte.

My buddy had the brilliant idea to add in a shunt to measure the amperage. I did him one better and bought a shunt/meter combo kit from ebay and put it in an enormous spare project box I had. It even has a switch to save the life of the 9volt inside.

It pulls about 40A with water at 75 degrees F. I ran it from this morning for about 10 hours and the chlorine came up very nicely. The terminal leads on the body are fairly warm, so it's not a model of efficiency but it's immersed in water so it will be fine. The terminals are past the water's exit point, so the indirect flow at their location doesn't cool as effectively.

main_body.jpg

shunt_ammeter.jpg

Hah. I went out there and found it pulling 60 amps. Seems as long as there's a nice AIR BUBBLE up in the body, it does okay. But as the bubbles wash down the returns it achieves it's full potential. One of the terminals was literally hissing as water was seeping around it and boiling. So I guess I'll tear it down this weekend. Ugh!

Maybe titanium rods with little spot welds