How Much To Hook Up Power Supply For A Hot Tub?

Just wondering what the general consensus is on how much an electrician should charge in eastern Canada to install a hot tub.

I am told we need 6 guage wiring. The length of the run from the main panel to the outside disconnect is about 80 ft, and the length of the run from the outside wall to the tub is about 30 ft. So about 120 ft total.

Any thoughts on how much it should cost? (We have a GFCI from the dealer.)

6/3 wire from Home Depot is is 2.70 /ft ( 110 X 2.70 = 297.00 ) ......spa disconnect panel with GFCI breaker ( Connecticut Electric ) is about $100.... plus some expense for flex conduit & connectors going into spa....

plus the electrician to hook everything up...anywhere from $400 to $ 800.......do a little reading & you may be able to do it yourself.....it is not that hard.....but if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself than by all means hire a professional licensed electrician...

Jeff

Heya Waterpen,

Cool name for a spa, btw. Strangely enough, I had an electrician over this morning. I'm in Quebec. They're gonna charge me $610.00 for running the cable roughly 20 feet, drill through me concrete coldroom up into the patio where the spa is going. The sub-box will be installed in said coldroom about 5 feet or so from the Spa. The wire's gonna run up and along the ceiling of my cold room which will obviously require some clamps. The price quoted is total incl. parts.

Cheers,

Mike

PS. I wasn't able to get a competing estimate - electricians are mighty busy in our neck of the woods at this time of year.

Thanks for the replies! I had a couple of quotes this week and both price the 6-3 wiring alone at about $500!! They are using some kind of wiring that does not require a separate conduit. Not sure what it is. Sooo, with the labour and disconnect, it's coming up to abput $1000. Seems like a lot, but if the cost of the wire is $500, it's kinda hard to quibble about the total. :mellow:

Sounds like direct burial wire.....I would tell them to run gray rigid PVC 1" conduit...much cheaper & pull the 6/3 individual wire thru it....seems like alot of money for the wire.....6/3 Romex wire at Home Depot is 2.70 /ft & you can strip it for the individual wires to pull thru......

Your electrician is overcharging for the wire....