Poor Man's 'grit-gitter'!

Cougar

After searching Yahoo, Google, Ebay and spa forums for hours, I stumbled upon a cheap 'spa vac' sitting in my own kitchen! Just take one of those quart sized squeezable plastic 'sports bottles' and pull out the plastic straw until only 2 or 3" of the straw remains inside the bottle. Fill the bottle completely with spa water. Submerge the bottle and squeeze out some water. Point the straw at the grit and trash sitting on the bottom of your spa and gently release the 'squeeze'. Watch the grit, sand, and debris get sucked up into the bottle! Result, no more grit and sand!

After searching Yahoo, Google, Ebay and spa forums for hours, I stumbled upon a cheap 'spa vac' sitting in my own kitchen! Just take one of those quart sized squeezable plastic 'sports bottles' and pull out the plastic straw until only 2 or 3" of the straw remains inside the bottle. Fill the bottle completely with spa water. Submerge the bottle and squeeze out some water. Point the straw at the grit and trash sitting on the bottom of your spa and gently release the 'squeeze'. Watch the grit, sand, and debris get sucked up into the bottle! Result, no more grit and sand!

HAHA NICE!

We use a garden hose to syphon out any grit or debris along the bottom. Put one end in the spa, the other end attached to the hose spicket. Tun the water on so it runs into the spa, then turn it off, disconnect the hose from the spicket and keep that end below the water level of your spa. voila, suction!

Takes little time or effort and is a powerful vaccum. You also can use it as long as you like (or until you suck all the water out!).

We use a garden hose to syphon out any grit or debris along the bottom. Put one end in the spa, the other end attached to the hose spicket. Tun the water on so it runs into the spa, then turn it off, disconnect the hose from the spicket and keep that end below the water level of your spa. voila, suction!

Takes little time or effort and is a powerful vaccum. You also can use it as long as you like (or until you suck all the water out!).

It's called good old syphen :D The only problem is you are taking out the chemically treated water that costs money and the good side is that you only have to do it every 6 months or so

A syphon or aquarium gravel vac can work just fine. You wouldn't loose any chemically treated water if you emptied it into a bucket and then filtered out the sand from it with some good ol' fashioned pantyhose while you dumped the water back into the spa from the bucket.

This brings me back to the good ol' days when I was a kid in Corpus Christy. My grandpa used duct tape on everything- I still believe just about anything can be fixed with it. He'd be proud if I could think of a way to encorporate duct tape in a home-made spa vac. Hmmm... (wheels turning) LOL! :lol: