Diatomaceous Earth Filter

a friend of mine recently installed a DE filter for his pool and is raving about it. it only runs 8 hrs a day instead of 24(which was burning up his pump motors every 18 months or so) and his water went from murky(really!) to crystal clear overnight.

i am now thinking of adding one to my spa. cancer warnings aside, can i install it inline with my existing cartridge filter? or parallel? or should i just replace take out the cartridge?

i just changed back to bromine from baqua and would like to have nice clear water, which i haven't managed to have yet in 5 years with this spa.

it's about a 300 gallon spa. what is the best size DE unit for this, considering that i prefer to go larger, like i did with my cartridge filter. i don't even know what these things look lie. are there options or different designs to consider?

a friend of mine recently installed a DE filter for his pool and is raving about it. it only runs 8 hrs a day instead of 24(which was burning up his pump motors every 18 months or so) and his water went from murky(really!) to crystal clear overnight.

i am now thinking of adding one to my spa. cancer warnings aside, can i install it inline with my existing cartridge filter? or parallel? or should i just replace take out the cartridge?

i just changed back to bromine from baqua and would like to have nice clear water, which i haven't managed to have yet in 5 years with this spa.

it's about a 300 gallon spa. what is the best size DE unit for this, considering that i prefer to go larger, like i did with my cartridge filter. i don't even know what these things look lie. are there options or different designs to consider?

If you have a portable spa, I would be sure to do a lot of research before changing the filter method. DE filters down to a smaller micron than a cartridge filter does. A cartridge fitlers smaller than a sand filter does. If your friend went from a sand filter to DE, it is a bigger jump than a cartridge to DE. FWIW, I use a cartridge on my pool and find it very satisfactory. I clean it once a year and never have had a tinge of cloudiness....plus no backwashing. It does not get easier. A spa, however, is different. If you haven't had nice clear water, it most likely has to do more with sanitizer issues than with filter issues. Most spas use pumps with filters on them as therapy pumps, also. If this is your case, changing the filter type will change the water flow and may put more stress on the pumps than their design allows. A good bromine or chlorine progam with a little clarifier when you need it should give you sparkling water.

If you have an inground concrete/gunite spa along with a pool, then DE might be a consideration as engineering and therapy aren't as critical.