Electricity Cost Of Sundance Tub In San Francisco Bay Area

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and have a Sundance Altamar, 2006 model. When I put it in (this summer) my electricity bill went up 10 kwh/day. This past month, because it was colder, it was up 18.5 kwh per day from the year before! My brother-in-law has a Dimensions1 tub (even larger than mine) and it uses much less electricity than mine does. Does anyone out there have a Sundance similar model in the Bay Area or other west coast, reasonably mild but still cool climate? How much electricity do you use per day? I am wondering if there might be something wrong with my tub because it uses much more electricity that my brother-in-laws. The repair person says it is working just fine.

Thanks

I don't own a tub but I do work on them regularly here in Texas. From what I've heard it should cost about 30-40 a month to keep it hot, probably 40-50 in Cali. because of higher electricity. It can make a big difference whether the tub is in the shade or in full sun and the tub should definitely have a good cover on it. I can't say whether the spa is working fine or not, but I would trust your repair man. Some tips though to reduce the cost, one would be to put it in economy mode, this will make the tub only heat when in a filter cycle. The better idea though would be to reduce the filter cycle time....30 minutes should be enough to keep it clean as the circ. pump will be filtering 24hrs a day anyway, if not then increase it. If none of this helps and you think there might be something wrong then check the amp load on the tub with an ammeter or have someone do it, one while the heater is off and then again while it is on.

I don't own a tub but I do work on them regularly here in Texas. From what I've heard it should cost about 30-40 a month to keep it hot, probably 40-50 in Cali. because of higher electricity. It can make a big difference whether the tub is in the shade or in full sun and the tub should definitely have a good cover on it. I can't say whether the spa is working fine or not, but I would trust your repair man. Some tips though to reduce the cost, one would be to put it in economy mode, this will make the tub only heat when in a filter cycle. The better idea though would be to reduce the filter cycle time....30 minutes should be enough to keep it clean as the circ. pump will be filtering 24hrs a day anyway, if not then increase it. If none of this helps and you think there might be something wrong then check the amp load on the tub with an ammeter or have someone do it, one while the heater is off and then again while it is on.

Thanks for your input. The service person put it on Economy and it actually seemed to use more energy because the heater had to stay on longer I guess to get the water back up to the set temperature. He checked the amps of all the parts, heater, pumps, etc. and he said everything is working fine but it still is using a ton of energy. I will check into the filter cycle time, but I think he cut that in half as well.

Any other ideas? Do you have clients who you can ask what their electricity usage is for Sundance recent models.

Thanks.