New Caldera Tahitian - Question On Start-up

Rob W

Man, I've had this thing sitting there for 2 months and I'm finally getting started. I had the spa delivered before the new house was completed so now we're finally in! :rolleyes:

So the spa guy finally showed up to install the cover lifter and I've got the tub filled. Only problem is he brought a bromine kit (without asking first) and I have decided I want to use chlorine. So he's supposed to be back this afternoon with the right kit so my question is....can I start heating the water up before I put the chems in? The water temp right now is around 53% and he will probably show up in around 3 - 4 hrs. This is a 360 gal. tub. Thanks!

If it was me, I would just start heating it. But, if you are worried, use the metal sequestrant and balancing stuff from the kit you have and then just switch it out with the bottles in your new kit when the guy comes back. The only difference between the kits should be the sanitizer. Good luck and congratulations. Keep the lid closed as much as possible and run the jets to help it heat faster. You could add some buckets of hot water from your tap, also. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply. Dumbass me didn't realize the spa started heating automatically when power was applied so by the time I asked the question the water was already 103 friggin' degrees :lol:

Anyway, not real happy so far with the start-up kit. One of the first steps is to adjust calcium hardness but for some reason they don't include the CH increaser in the kit :rolleyes:

The water where I am is literally rain water and very clean and soft. Right out of the tap, and according to the test strips, I would say virtually no chlorine, maybe 20ppm alkalinity, 6.8-7.0 pH and CH at around 50ppm. I've added some Spa Up, which is basically the only thing they include in the kit (and Spa Down) for actual water balancing, so I'll check again in a while and guess I'll be looking for the CH increaser tomorrow.