100% Filtration Vs Bypass Filtration

goldengirl

Ok - newbie question again! I just did my wet testing of 3 models today - D1 Triad II, Hot Springs JetSetter and Caldera Kauai. The D1 is out completely. I'm leaning towards the Caldera, as its footjets on the lounger are pure heaven! However, the 100% filtration of the Hot Springs SOUNDS great. Do you think that is a significant feature? I have a lot of animals and am somewhat of a neat/clean freak, so telling me the water is always clean and clear is a big deal. I'm a little afraid that the cat hair floating in the air may get sucked into the pump if there is not 100% filtration. Is that a valid concern?

Thanks as usual for your input!

:)

HS vs Caldera points out better than any other comparison the two different routes to filtration manufacturers choose. Both are manfacturered by Watkins. Some people claim that non-bypass filtration causes pumps to either be weaker or overworked. Others claim that it's the only way to have clear water. Suffice it to say there have been arguments for a long time. Pump manufacturers in both camps have been able to produce clean water, so who knows? I got tired of trying to figure it out and began looking at square footage of filtration and how the jets feel. Once you get past this argument, try wrapping your brain around circulation pumps versus none. It'll drive you crazy!

Both systems work quite well, Caldera and HotSpring. Caldera puts large single filters and allows you to run filter cycles. HotSpring runs the little pump 'round the clock, and then does major filtering when the jets run. I have both on the showroom floor, and the HotSpring is the easier of the two to keep sparkling. But not by much.

If you do not want cat hair or other things to ever go through your pumps, then HotSpring is the one.

B)

HotSpring is the easier of the two to keep sparkling. But not by much.

If you do not want cat hair or other things to ever go through your pumps, then HotSpring is the one.

B)

Hi Chas,

Thanks for your reply! Why do you say that the Hot Springs is the easiest to keep sparkling clean? What makes Caldera a bit harder to keep clean?

Do you think the cat hair would affect my pump?

THANK YOU!!!

:):)

Why do you say that the Hot Springs is the easiest to keep sparkling clean? What makes Caldera a bit harder to keep clean?

Do you think the cat hair would affect my pump?

In a store, tubs are harder to keep clear than in a home. Folks come in and stick their hands in the water all day, and when there are people in the tubs, they are people who don't own tubs and so have not had the deep pore cleansing of their skin which is an unadvertised benefit of owning a tub.

So, take two tubs side by side, and cloud them both slightly. The HotSpring will generally be the first one to clear again. The reason is quite simple: there is more water going through the filters of the HotSpring in ten minutes than there is going through the filter of the Caldera in an hour, or more if the filter is dirty.

As to the cat hair harming the pump - I don't think it would. I have seen pumps get plugged up with hair, but only when the amount getting into the system was extreme - as in clumps from some corner of the yard getting blown in all at once.

B)