Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'allergy'.
Turns out I'm allergic to some aspect of my new cedar tub. Since it will take several months, possibly over a year to see an immunologist and determine the exact allergen, (statistically most likely to be bromine from what I have found online) we are changing from bromine to chlorine, (knowing it could eat away at the wood. If it's the correct allergen, can get a liner at that point). What I would like to know is if anyone has any educated suggestions on the best way to extract any bromine that has leached into the wood. As of now, I have drained the tub, spent at least an hour spraying the walls and floor with a hose, and refilled. We will leave it to sit for a few days with no chemicals, though the ionizer is turned on. Then I will do that same again, at least once, maybe more. For some background, while experimenting earlier to try to figure out the source of the allergy, we did empty, refill and use the next day with no chemicals once heated to see if I would react to that and I did. (I get full body rash. No one else who has used the tub has ever gotten a rash other other adverse reaction). Could be an allergy to cedar though, or something else, who knows, but gotta try something cause that thing is awesome!
Hi; This is the 3rd season we have had our spa (it came with the house when we moved in) and up until this year I have not had any problems at all. However, over the past month I have developed a really itch allergic reaction to something in the water - mostly on my chest, upper back, torso and a few spots on my legs. My Dr. told me to take a shower after the spa and use plenty of soap but it's not really helping much. We use the spa most days but I'm at the point of wondering if my spa days are over . For sanitation we have a UV unit which we replaced a couple of years ago and we used bromine pucks which are in a floating dispenser in the spa when we are not using it. We check the pH and the bromine level each day and adjust the flow through the bromine dispenser as necessary to keep the bromine level where it should be. Are there alternatives to Bromine that I should consider or could it be something else Any feedback at all would be great. Thanks Paul
My dermatologist confirmed my skin allergy to MPS. I was the only one in my family to experience the large red bumps on arms and legs. The tub (400 gal.) was drained - filter cleaned with Aqua-EZ (great product - removes iron and clarifies water instantly!) - and tub then refilled using Dichlor only and new mineral cartridge. It worked - no more bumps. Here's the issue - my son put in 2 tbls of the old shock cleaner with MPS the other night after he left (yes, I should have thrown it away). Took a tub last night - the bumps reappeared this morning - I asked him what he added and he confirmed it was the older bottle of shock. So - my question is - will just a few tbls. of MPS wear out if I leave it for a few days? If I add more dichlor will that burn it off? Or - do I need to drain and refill tub again? Thx in advance!
We've had our Marquis Broadway for a year now. Started with the spa frog sanitizer system that came with spa and it seemed to work ok, though we did get cloudy water issues on an occasion that were cleared with that stuff that coagulates everything for the skimmer. Decided to switch to Nature 2 and were told that we only needed a touch of chlorine to start it up, then non chlorine shock after each use. This didn't seem right, and I found myself adding chlorine once in a while to get it clear. Just filled the tub for a third time in end of March. Double checked with pool store about nature 2 use. Was told, put in some chlorine with each use, non chlorine shock weekly. Water quality's been better, but I've developed hives! A few patches on my shin, a few on my right hand, and a rash of bumps on one forearm. I've isolated it to determine that it's the hot tub causing the hives, and each time they come back a little more widespread. In fact, I just went to the dr for a cortisone shot which helped immensely. I do have metal allergies, must wear sterling or 18k gold, so could the metals in the nature 2 be causing the problem? Really stinks that I can't go out there and enjoy the hot tub, but the hives are not worth it! Thanks for any info.