Dull Yellow Flakes

canTub

So I'm a DiChlor Bleach guy, haven't had too may issues with the tub. UV filter on circ pump.

Likely related to a 0ppm day or two, I started seeing some flakes in the tub. A dull yellow color when grabbed with a fish net.

Changed the water and still see some when I run the jets hard.

Today I pulled the filter (will put a new one in), shocked and am continually fish-netting until I see it go away - there's quite a bit of it. I'm assuming this is biofilm?

The odd part is my chemistry is still spot on. 7.4-7.6 PH, no combined chlorine, and I don't see excessive chlorine consumption.

Biofilm?

Anything else I should do besides Cl shock and fish-net?

Add some acid to the flakes. If they fizz then they may be calcium carbonate. If that's the case then some combination of Total Alkalinity (TA), pH and Calcium Hardness (CH) may be too high but usually with the Dichlor-then-Bleach method you lower your TA a lot so that this should not be an issue. Are the flakes hard or are they soft and squishy or are they slimy? Biofilm would feel slimy but usually would not come off as flakes.

If it's some buildup of bather waste material, then perhaps you could use Ahh-Some each time you change the water since that will remove greases and oils (as well as biofilm) that may be stuck in piping or on spa surfaces.

No fix on the acid test.

My tub is typically 7.6 pH, 40 ppm TA, 110 ppm CH. I do run at 0 FC from time to time.

The flakes are soft and slimy. My guess would be a buildup on the inside of the pipes. Most of it now has been beat by the jets so it's more like tiny dirt than flakes.

I've ordered some Ahh-Some to give a try.

If you let the tub get to 0 ppm FC for too many hours, then biofilm can most certainly form and build up and once that happens chlorine won't get rid of it. You need to decontaminate the spa, preferably using Ahh-Some then drain and refill. You really can't let a spa get to a zero disinfectant level. If you don't think you can do that with chlorine, then maybe you need to use a different system that will retain a residual for longer. Perhaps bromine using tabs or perhaps Nature2 with MPS.

You can use Nature2 with non-chlorine shock (MPS) and that won't smell like halogens (either chlorine or bromine). You would shock the spa every week or so with chlorine to keep the water clear since MPS doesn't oxidize all the same chemicals that chlorine does. This is an EPA-approved disinfectant system (see the Owner's Manual). You have to drain and refill your spa to get rid of the current bromine if you switch to this system. You add MPS after your soak to handle the bather waste and have enough to still have a residual before your next soak.