My Recent Spa-Buying Experience: Jacuzzi J-355

Happycow

Greetings:

Just purchased a new Jacuzzi J-355 and thought I'd post some notes about my decision-making process and experience in case it helps other folks in the market. Firstly, I'm new to the forum but used it extensively in researching brands and, recently, in refreshing my water chemistry. Great resource!

We bought a new spa to replace our 16-yr-old Coleman. Although that spa served us well, we didn't do any due diligence prior to purchasing it--just went with recommendation from a friend. This time I made the effort to carefully review and compare spas. We live in a relatively remote area and I wanted a nearby dealer so I could only compare a somewhat narrow slice of brands: Hot Springs, Bullfrog, Jacuzzi, and Sundance. Each brand has a decent (or better) reputation so my primary concern was comfort and jet strength (versus warranty, etc.). I also wanted a local dealer for delivery, removal of old spa, and support, etc. The last criteria are the primary reasons we didn't pursue a spa from Costco.

Sundance: Wasn't impressed by the jet strength and placement. Controls (diverter valve, air, etc.) seemed slightly confusing. Spa also had bubblers which I've never liked or used so I didn't want to pay for that feature.

Hot Springs: Jets were decent/good (particularly on higher end model) and Hot Springs has a sterling reputation. I liked the construction (no wood) but I only really like the comfort of their higher end spa, which was selling for well into the 5 figures--close to twice our budget. Just couldn't justify the cost.

Bullfrog: I REALLY wanted to like these spas--I think the modular jet system makes a lot of sense. In fact, I was pretty certain I was going to buy a Bullfrog until the wet test when I was totally disappointed with the jet strength. On top of that, the dealer was the only one who itemized every last cost so it felt a bit like buying a $45,000 car and then having the dealer knick you $200 for floor mats. I know it may be solely psychological but I liked the all inclusive price (cover, lifter, steps, chemicals, delivery, removal).

Jacuzzi: The dealer was the same one who sold us the Coleman so I liked the continuity. I was impressed with the jet strength--they felt as good or better than the Hot Springs but at close to half the price. Given the dealer reputation/longevity and Jacuzzi warranty it felt like a no brainer, and we ended up with a J-355. After using it for a couple weeks, I have the following impressions of the warts and wonders.

Good: I like the jets and layout even more. The various seats have unique layouts that each work different parts of your body. I had forgotten how much I like strong foot jets and the Jacuzzi had the best I can recall testing. The pumps are single speed but that's fine with me--I never used pumps on low speed. The diverter valves work smoothly and the air valves are simple and quiet. These were my most important criteria and I don't think I could have done any better with the choice. It also holds heat amazingly well (compared to old Coleman). At most, it appears to drop two degrees overnight (usually just one) even with 50-degree nights.

Not-so-Good: The controls are simple but almost too simple. I'm still struggling with figuring out how to get it to do what I want but I expect this to be a non-issue once I'm used to the controls. I'm not sure I love the Clearray UV purification system--it's not anywhere near as effective as ozone (though ozone comes with it's own issues). The filter inlet netting is a modest pain to clean out.

Bad: The "fit and finish" of the spa cabinet was unimpressive. The cabinet siding protrudes from under the spa shell (about 1/8") at the rounded corners because of sloppy workmanship. It's mostly cosmetic but annoying. The magnets and steel washers used to hold the tool-free access door closed were not aligned. I had to move each of the five washers about an inch to align them. Not a big deal--but it also wouldn't have been a big deal to get that right at the factory. I know I could have had the dealer address these items but I just chose to fix it myself so I know it'll be fixed the way I want.

That's about it. Nothing earth shattering about our experience but I thought someone might find it useful.

Thanks for your feedback Happy. I'm waiting on the J-470 (the wait is on my end -- the slab, etc.). I had similar shopping experiences in which I really wanted to like an Artesian (great deal, too) but in the end, the function of the Jacuzzi won the day (and at a higher cost -- wet testing can issue expensive results!).

Good luck.

Thanks for the post and grats on your new spa! I'm surprised to hear that you didn't like the jet power on Bullfrog. You must not have tried any of the more powerful jetpaks. There are some that will darn near blow you out of the water. Maybe the valve was turned down?

Anyway, you got an awesome spa. Congrats!

• 1 year later...

Flamingoezz: We've never had more than 4 adults in it but I suppose you could squeeze one or two more in. I don't have any problems floating out of the lounger, though I actually don't use it as often as I expected I would.

It's been about a year-and-a-half and still quite satisfied. Had a few issues (failed circ pump, leaking waterfall, leaking pump body) that have been addressed under warranty. That's a bummer but the dealer has been responsive and prompt so those were all minor inconveniences.

thanks for the reply. would you say 4 adults fit without being on top of eachother?

Do you mind saying how much you paid and what state you're in?

Flamingoezz: We've never had more than 4 adults in it but I suppose you could squeeze one or two more in. I don't have any problems floating out of the lounger, though I actually don't use it as often as I expected I would.

It's been about a year-and-a-half and still quite satisfied. Had a few issues (failed circ pump, leaking waterfall, leaking pump body) that have been addressed under warranty. That's a bummer but the dealer has been responsive and prompt so those were all minor inconveniences.

thanks for the reply. would you say 4 adults fit without being on top of eachother?

Do you mind saying how much you paid and what state you're in?