What Avg Water Temp Ok To Close Pool?

yanks1

live in nothern NJ. Wondering, at about what water temp range is it ok to close in-ground pool. I hear if its too warm in the 70's not good to close until it consisently hits a lower temp, currently we're in the low 70's. Is approx closer to 60 degrees better temp to close? Also, do all of you here buy a winter closing kit they sell at all the online sites for $41-42 for large pool, or is this over-hyped and a waste of $$?? thanks on both

Wait until the water temp stays below 60F consistently (for at least a week). I doubt any closing kit marketed at $41-42 will cover your needs. Depending upon your pool size, you'll need at least 1 bottle of polyquat algaecide (get a 60, as in 60% strength), a few jugs of commercial/pool store chlorinating liquid (basically high strength bleach, usually 10% or more) or more jugs of 6% generic unscented bleach (from Wal-Mart, etc.), and several jugs of marine/RV antifreeze (the pink stuff, ethylene glycol - not propylene glycol). You'll need to adjust the pH, shock the pool and confirm a steady chlorine residual count, thoroughly clean the pool, drain to 4-6" below your returns, blow the lines w/ a shop vac or compressor, add antifreeze to the skimmer and all return lines, cap the returns, put a gizmo in your skimmer and drain the filter, pump, heater, etc. There are threads on this forum and at trouble free pool (link)setting the procedure out in detail. Use the search function to find the threads on this forum. Sounds complicated but you can do it yourself within a couple of hours. The most difficult part is installing the cover. Pool service companies will typically charge $200-300 and often cut corners. I do it myself in less than 2 hours and for under $50 worth of chems, but note that I've already purchased a gizmo, caps, teflon tape, etc.

thx for replies.. I am aware of the steps to close a pool, have a daughter's friend that works for pool company help me last few years.

why are you saying the closing kits sold online can't do the trick?? Our pool is approx 25k gallons, the winter kits go up to 35k Gallons

and they all include an algaecide, plus an absorber and slow release chlorine floater along w/3 bags of shock. Instead I should just go to store

and buy extra potent bleach and buy 1-2 Gallons of pool anti-freeze for pipes & skimmer?