Heating Above Ground Pool

jcs1956

Hi all,

Let me introduce myself,My name Is Jennifer and I'm new to this swimming pool/spa forum.

So please don't mind all the questions I will have.We are relocating to southern AZ.

I have an 15x30 above ground pool.we will be putting a large deck/roof,because my son burns very easily.we would like to enjoy the pool for most of the year,so here goes my ? .can we install solar panels on the pool roof and ust this to charge some kind of battery.Then use that to run a heater to heat the pool.also what is the best material to use around the pool to help keep the heat from escaping.what is a good temp for swimming.I read something about cooling the water in the summer,is this true.Thank you in advance.sorry to have so many ?.

Jennifer

• 1 month later...

I'm a yeti, not a bear - we thrive in the cold. :D

I don't see the cost of running a solar battery-powered heater as being feasible. Pool heaters require a LOT of energy, and even in sunny Nevada, I just don't see it happening.

However, there are solar heating options that can work alone or in conjuction with a conventional heater (electric, propane, natural gas). The company I work for sells a solar pool heater that can be mounted on the roof and works very well. I live in Ohio and I don't know much about the weather, but I presume that the temperature rarely dips below 40 degrees, if that. Further assuming that you get consistent sunlight on at least one area of your roof, one or two (based on the size of your pool) of these solar heating panels should keep the pool warm during the colder weather. Also, if you reverse your use of it during the summer, it will also cool down the pool water during the night. If you have any further questions about finding these items or how to use them, I'd be glad to help.

• 1 month later...
I'm a yeti, not a bear - we thrive in the cold. :D

I don't see the cost of running a solar battery-powered heater as being feasible. Pool heaters require a LOT of energy, and even in sunny Nevada, I just don't see it happening.

However, there are solar heating options that can work alone or in conjuction with a conventional heater (electric, propane, natural gas). The company I work for sells a solar pool heater that can be mounted on the roof and works very well. I live in Ohio and I don't know much about the weather, but I presume that the temperature rarely dips below 40 degrees, if that. Further assuming that you get consistent sunlight on at least one area of your roof, one or two (based on the size of your pool) of these solar heating panels should keep the pool warm during the colder weather. Also, if you reverse your use of it during the summer, it will also cool down the pool water during the night. If you have any further questions about finding these items or how to use them, I'd be glad to help.

Thank you poolyeti,

Jennifer