Pentair Superflo Is Cycling Off And On

jkusmier

I noticed yesterday that my 3 season-old, 1.5HP Pentair SuperFlo occasionally turns off, then re-starts during it programmed run time in auto mode (I have an EasyTouch control panel). I can't say how long it has been cycling but I've noticed it twice in the last 90 mins or so. The pump re-started within a minute or so on both occasions. I have no idea what's causing this, but I'm confident that somebody here can diagnose the problem, and offer a rough estimate on the cost of repair. I was planning on upgrading to a variable speed pump but not this soon!

As always, I would greatly appreciate any insight. Thanks.

If the motor is overheating, the paint and label on the motor will usually begin to discolor. The motor should feel hot, but not super hot. When the pump is running, you should be able to feel air blowing out of the slots near the bottom of the back of the motor. If the fan has broken, then you won't feel any air.

Motor does not seem excessively hot to the touch, no abnormal smells or sounds, and is exhausting air out of ventilation slots in back. I've ruled out backpressure or air in the returns. I switched to service mode per Pool Clown's suggestion and did not notice it cycling - so I may have some comm error in my panel (which is frustrating since I had another comm error last year and had the IC 40 controller replaced under warranty, which has since expired). I'll probably spend a bit more time troubleshooting it before I close early next month.

If it runs fine in service mode, then you need to clear the e-prompt. Only bugger with that is that you need to start from scratch i.e. daily programming, aux labels, etc. Like when you first installed the controller.

Well hell, Pool Clown, I'll do that on any day, and twice on Sunday. I'll go one further and close the breaker on the whole panel and equipment pad and re-start. I'll re-program pump run time and leave the rest for opening next spring.

Thanks, I'll let you know if it works!

It's definitely a fault in the EasyTouch control panel. I have been running the pump in service mode w/o any problem.

I've found several threads elsewhere regarding pump cycling with regard to EasyTouch panels. The bad news is that they seem to be associated w/ the freeze protection feature. The good news is that the symptoms reported are identical to those I'm experiencing - it cycles every hour or less, and the pump re-starts within 30 seconds. I have not yet had the time to re-boot the panel but will do so when I close, probably this weekend as the water temp is now at 64F and continues to drop. Hopefully it's a permanent fix and I don't need a new firmware upload.

You have said "re boot" twice now. A simple turning off of the breaker and back on isn't what i mean. You need to clear the e-prompt. It's a little more involved than just cycling the breaker. Look in your manual, and if you can't find the section, let me know.

Sorry Pool Clown, inartful choice of words. I cleared the EEPROM after work today - before doing so, I noticed the FRZ appeared on the display alongside the air and water temp readings, indicating freeze protection had become enabled. What troubles me is that while overnight temps have dropped low enough the past 2-3 nights to activate freeze protection, they never dipped below 43F when I first noticed the problem. Also, the cell indicator LED on my IntelliChlor was red today, indicating low temperature (which I believe is ~52F for the IC), although the EasyTouch indicated water temp was 62F. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a faulty board or if the fault reported w/ freeze protection on the EasyTouch involves a larger problem. Set to AUTO after erasing EEPROM and pump is cycling again. Kind of pi$$ed that I'm experiencing this problem after having the boards in the EasyTouch replaced last year. I know the new boards had upgraded firmware compared to the old boards - apparently it has some bugs. Wonder how much it will cost for a local rep come out and upgrade my firmware. Thoughts?

A different problem - my EasyTouch wasn't communicating w/ my IC and I was unable to fine-tune output on my IC (thread is here). Thanks for the feedback - and you never really answered my question from the prior thread! I'll call Pentair tomorrow but plan to close in the next week. Kind of surprised with the classic fall temps here in StL after such a hot, hot summer.

Ah yes, I remember now. Anyway, I ran a diagnostic on both the EasyTouch and the chlorinator earlier this evening - no errors. I just sent an e-mail to the Pentair service rep who helped me w/ the IntelliChor issue last June. My pool was constructed and became operational in late September 2007, and am praying that they will still honor my 3-year warranty since 1) I first noticed the problem in late September, 2) have 7 pieces of Pentair equipment and 3) the problem involves an EasyTouch board that was replaced under warranty last year. We shall see. I suspect a broader problem, since the problem first occurred (and the freeze protection feature activated) when the overnight temps were no lower than 43F and 2) my IC40 is indicating low temps (52F I believe) but my EasyTouch and in-pool thermometer indicate 62F and 63F, respectively.

How can one tell, besides grabbing my strap wrenches and disconnecting the cell from the unions so I can turn it over? It's the new look cell w/ the much brighter aqua-colored LED's. Per the user manual, the part number(P/N) of my new IC40 is 520555.

My old cell was c. 2007 - he replaced it w/ a ver. 2.0 cell, as you described. He called me this afternoon to tell me he'd replaced the cell, although I already knew that. I told him I'd been candid w/ Pentair about my warranty expiring last month, and he replied that Pentair's customer service was the reason why they use Pentair equipment exclusively. I asked him what I owed him, and he said nothing, Pentair is covering it and if not he didn't care. Needless to say, I'll be calling him for any and all service problems from now on, warranty or not. I'm stoked. Not looking forward to closing next weekend, though.