Cloady Eco 1

lars

first time post so i hope you all will bear with me. I am having difficulty getting clear water(sparkling) whiloe using the eco 1 product. Either we have floaties around the surface (looks like slimy flakes of skin) or we have cloady water. Our dealer says this is all from the eco 1 doing its job. He states that our tub is an older one and that it may take up to a year for all the paritculs and build up in the pipes to pass. A year seems like a long time. We have been using the product since Jan. Please help as now my wife has stopped going in because of the cloudy water.

By the way all the levels accourding to the strips are with in acceptable ranges.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated

Lars

first time post so i hope you all will bear with me. I am having difficulty getting clear water(sparkling) whiloe using the eco 1 product. Either we have floaties around the surface (looks like slimy flakes of skin) or we have cloady water. Our dealer says this is all from the eco 1 doing its job. He states that our tub is an older one and that it may take up to a year for all the paritculs and build up in the pipes to pass. A year seems like a long time. We have been using the product since Jan. Please help as now my wife has stopped going in because of the cloudy water.

By the way all the levels accourding to the strips are with in acceptable ranges.

Any advice would be greatly appriciated

Lars

ask the eco rep to send you a better test kit (phenol blue) to make sure the ph stays inbetween 6.9-7.1. Perhaps some monopersulfate once and a while is good. Sometimes the location you live in has high iron content which can have an affect and might be beneficial to switch back to a Nature 2 or whatever.

Your dealer's answer is correct, this is a temporary condition although I don't believe this will happen for more than a few months. The enzymes are working hard and cleaning the pipes out so well that this clouding is common with new use. Keep your filters clean and increase your filtering time. Eco 1 likes a higher PH of 7.8 - 8.2. Run the pumps regularly to add air to the water which really gets the process going quicker. Superchlorinating with some Dichlor will help clear the water too at this cleaning stage. Eco 1 is a great product and will make your spa care really easy after this hurdle is passed.

Your dealer's answer is correct, this is a temporary condition although I don't believe this will happen for more than a few months. The enzymes are working hard and cleaning the pipes out so well that this clouding is common with new use. Keep your filters clean and increase your filtering time. Eco 1 likes a higher PH of 7.8 - 8.2. Run the pumps regularly to add air to the water which really gets the process going quicker. Superchlorinating with some Dichlor will help clear the water too at this cleaning stage. Eco 1 is a great product and will make your spa care really easy after this hurdle is passed.

I am thinking of the Eco 1 as the Ecosmarte. Can you brush me up on this Eco1 system?

ask the eco rep to send you a better test kit (phenol blue) to make sure the ph stays inbetween 6.9-7.1.

I think you mean phenol red which is used to test pH in the range of 6.8 to 8.2. There is no indicator dye called phenol blue. There is a bromophenol blue indicator but it is used to test pH in the range of 3.0 to 4.6!

I realize that you are a moderator of this forum but you really should refrain from giving chemical advice if you don't understand the chemistry involved.

• 1 month later...

I think you mean phenol red which is used to test pH in the range of 6.8 to 8.2. There is no indicator dye called phenol blue. There is a bromophenol blue indicator but it is used to test pH in the range of 3.0 to 4.6!

I realize that you are a moderator of this forum but you really should refrain from giving chemical advice if you don't understand the chemistry involved.

Phenol blue is a more acurate reading for the PH when you are testing a unit with an Ecosmarte. The phenol blue that the Eco rep gives us gives the most acurate reading besides the PH buffer. I prefer to just call it phenol blue. ;)

Phenol blue is a more acurate reading for the PH when you are testing a unit with an Ecosmarte. The phenol blue that the Eco rep gives us gives the most acurate reading besides the PH buffer. I prefer to just call it phenol blue. ;)

There is no indicator called phenol blue! I don't know what the rep gives you but you might want to find out what it really is. I doubt you are testing the pH range of 3.0 to 4.6. EcoSmarte is a copper ionizer so perhaps the test you are doing is for copper and not pH. BTW, this is a quote off the Eco Smart website

" ECOsmarte chemical free swimming pool systems have been in use for the past 10 years and have sold worldwide as a 100% chlorine and chemical free alternative. In Australia the APVMA does not allow this and requires pool owners to use an approved (read chlorine) sanitiser in conjunction with these systems."

(empahsis mine....what do you think they know in Australia that we don't know here?)

Also, Ecosmarte and Eco One are not the same. Eco One is an enzyme based cleaner that is used in conjunction with chlorine, bromine, copper, ozone, etc. I think the only thing it is not compatible with is biguinide. There are several such products on the market. Perhaps NaturalChemisty's Spa Perfect line is the most well known product of this type.

There is no indicator called phenol blue! I don't know what the rep gives you but you might want to find out what it really is. I doubt you are testing the pH range of 3.0 to 4.6. EcoSmarte is a copper ionizer so perhaps the test you are doing is for copper and not pH. BTW, this is a quote off the Eco Smart website

" ECOsmarte chemical free swimming pool systems have been in use for the past 10 years and have sold worldwide as a 100% chlorine and chemical free alternative. In Australia the APVMA does not allow this and requires pool owners to use an approved (read chlorine) sanitiser in conjunction with these systems."

(empahsis mine....what do you think they know in Australia that we don't know here?)

Also, Ecosmarte and Eco One are not the same. Eco One is an enzyme based cleaner that is used in conjunction with chlorine, bromine, copper, ozone, etc. I think the only thing it is not compatible with is biguinide. There are several such products on the market. Perhaps NaturalChemisty's Spa Perfect line is the most well known product of this type.

Oh, ok I thought he was referring to ecosmarte and yes I call it phenol blue and it works great for PH's higher than 3.0. I use it all the time. They just discontinued it and I have alot left over. The rep calls me today and says to use the Phenol red instead of the Blue. Thankyou Oh and natural chemistry's bioclean works great and it is a non-detergant.

Oh, ok I thought he was referring to ecosmarte and yes I call it phenol blue and it works great for PH's higher than 3.0.

But it wont tell you anything about a pH higher than 4.6! You are BSing and that is sad! The people here are looking for information and deserve to be given correct answers!

I use it all the time. They just discontinued it and I have alot left over. The rep calls me today and says to use the Phenol red instead of the Blue. Thankyou Oh and natural chemistry's bioclean works great and it is a non-detergant.

Do you even have a clue as to how the NaturalChemisty line works? It is based on enzymes (which are actually protiens) and they break down (digest) organics.All you do is repeat sales patter and give no information. I find that very sad when people are coming here with problems and looking for answers.