Help Request-i Need To Make My Softub Hotter

Lucien

Hi all. I just got a newer Softub 300 with the Ozonator and digital control pad. I love it, but it only goes up to between 102 and 103 degrees. I am a longtime hot springs guy, and I am used to Harbin Hot Springs hot pool which is between 114 and 117, so this thing is like luke warm to me. Contrary to what the government thinks, many people believe in freedom of choice about tub temperatures. Please no comments about how dangerous higher temps are. In cultures all over the world for hundreds of years humans have been getting into super hot water with no ill effects, and fertility is not something that I am worried about. I have been soaking in 115+ degree water for 25 years. You just stay in shorter time periods. OK, off the soapbox :rolleyes:. What I really am looking for is a solution to get my Softub cooking at 10 or more degrees higher than it comes from the factory. I am sure someone has figured out how to do this, but I can't seem to find any info on the web about it. The older models had a screw that could be turned for higher temps, but I cannot find any info for the digital models. Anyone know how I can get this thing hotter?

WOW - I couldn't even imagine getting ino 115 degree water. 104 is about all I can handle.

I think the biggest question right now is...Can a softub even generate enough heat to get the water to 115? Since it uses thermal transfer from the pump motor and not a dedicated heater, I wonder if it's even possible. Even if the board controls could be overriden, I doubt the water could get that warm - especially during the colder times of the year.

Good luck with your quest for really hot water!

WOW - I couldn't even imagine getting ino 115 degree water. 104 is about all I can handle.

I think the biggest question right now is...Can a softub even generate enough heat to get the water to 115? Since it uses thermal transfer from the pump motor and not a dedicated heater, I wonder if it's even possible. Even if the board controls could be overriden, I doubt the water could get that warm - especially during the colder times of the year.

I would think you are right,no heater in soft tubs so the heat you can get from the elec. motor is probably all you get.Maybe you can rig up a spa heater some how.

• 2 months later...

I would think you are right,no heater in soft tubs so the heat you can get from the elec. motor is probably all you get.Maybe you can rig up a spa heater some how.

The older Softubs get up to 115 with a simple modification, so I am sure it has the ability to do it, but has been regulated to stay at 103-104 degrees :angry: . Anyone have any ideas other than the woodfire? I little too high mainainance ;-).

• 11 months later...

The older Softubs get up to 115 with a simple modification, so I am sure it has the ability to do it, but has been regulated to stay at 103-104 degrees :angry: . Anyone have any ideas other than the woodfire? I little too high mainainance ;-).

Doubt someone in this business is going to tell you how since if anything does happen in time, they can and most likely will get sued. I know I will not just for that reason. My liability insurance would vanish in minutes.

BTW...is that a bottle of ketchup and mustard next to the the guys in the tub? lol....

Since we are on reply #10, with no answers so far I will take a swing at it (admittedly knowing NOTHING about your tub, but HEY, this IS the internet so what the HECK.)

Some have 'adjusted' their temperature by finding the thermostat bulb and removing part of it from contact with the water. This can be done in differing ways depending on the way it is configured. Older style thermostats are some times inserted into a hose, and can be just pulled out a little (then the spa 'thinks' the temps is lower). Others with purely electric controls (thermistors) have just measured the resistance at a given temp and added an appropriate potentiometer to adjust the temp up from there. For instance, lets say the 2 wires leading into the controller read 300 ohms at 104 degrees. Let the spa cool, and read again. Lets say the reading at 94 degrees is 350 ohms. You could then just add a 0-50 ohm potentiometer and add from nothing to 10 degrees to the temperature your spa controller 'thinks' the spa is.

Of course, if you set yourself on fire in a vat of scalding water this is just a theoretical discussion.. after all the government must know best right? :rolleyes:

Here is a link to an article on ;

some quick and simple tests for the most common ones—thermocouples, resistance temperature detectors (RTDs), and thermistors.

This will pretty much cover whatever method of electronic temperature measuring devices your digital spa controller might employ to measure the temperature of the water.

• 1 year later...
Thanks. That is pretty technical for me, but maybe I can get an electrician on it.

I spend lots of time at Harbin as well, and the hot pool is just that rather hot, the warm pool you can stay in the waters for hours... I have been having the same issues every since I got my softub as well and have been to every forum out there wiht no help. Anyone!! Besides my last resort which will be an on demand hot water heater and a hose for a quick boost of heat!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

LOL 114... yer mad man but regardless you dont have a snowballs chance in florida mate that spa uses the heat from the motor to heat the water and it the motor runs at about 103-106

Not so my friend!

I have had a Softub for about 14 years. About 5 years ago something went bad in the powerpack and the pump never shuts off. I hooked it up to a timer and I run the pump about an two hours a day to keep the heat right. Well, I often let it run extra to bring the heat up between 107-110 for a really hot soak. On occasion I have screwed up my timer settings and the thing has run for nearly 24 hours straight. This results in a tub so hot you can not dip your foot in it with getting 1st degree burns. I don't know the temp, but it is well over 130 degrees I think. Apparently there is some sort of thermal safety cutoff in the pump motor as it will click off at this point and has to be reset.

I am actually getting a new T140 very soon and one of the things I am worried about is being limited to 104. I will probably modify it to go hotter. Gotta be a fairly simple way.

I have 3 troubles with my softub.

1) when I get it it at 104 degrees it slowly cools off. The pump/heater comes on and runs while I'm in it and for a few hours after. Meanwhile the tub has lost several degrees. THis is a T300 and I'm at 7000 ft altitude. But Am told that these are used frequently in high desert and are able to hold. Ihave the bubbler closed. I can't figure out what might be wrong since, given how these work, all the power that comes out of the wall plug is, ultimately, ending up as heat (that's just thermodynamics). All I can figure is that if for some reason the pump had a limiter and was not drawing it's maximum capacity for some reason then perhaps this might be weak. But otherwise it seems to me that all softubs must produce the same total heat no matter how well the pump is acutally moving water. power in = heat out.

2) How do you access the control panel to make this resistor adjustment. Does it pull out the top? how do I grip it to pull it out and not break something?

3) My Ozonator is not working right. the solenoid valve is always open so it lets in a constant stream of air. (I have plugged this off sine I don't want the cooling effect of the bubbles). Second if I sinff the small tube from the ozonator I don't smell anything in particular. SHould I? ozone in strong concentrations usally smells sort of like bleach or fresh air or slightly sweet. I could buy and replace the solenoid but I'd like to know if the ozonator is work first but I don't know how to tell (the tub is 5 years old). Also I wonder if it's possible if the solenoid and ozonator are working fine, but simply the power or control signals to them are the problem. IS there a simple test I could do for this?

• 1 year later...

Im looking for anyone who has had luck getting a digital softtub above 104'. You can reply to me directly at brian.a.x.storm@cogeco.ca

I know the answers cant be posted so I would love to here from someone who has had any luck. Im a tech geek but this is something ive never done before. I can do anything with the info however.

Thanx

Brian

First of all, don't do this because you will screw it up and die, you already bought a POS "spa" that will probably melt.

But if you are determined to cleanse the gene pool of yourself, here is how you make a spa heat to whatever temp you want it to be.

First, buy analog components, T-stat, hi limit, and a two pole 30 amp relay with a 120 volt coil.

I'm sticking to the 120 volt coil assuming you aren't going 220v

Modify the thermostat as follows.

analogtstat.jpg

Do the same with the hi limit, but turn the screw the other way.

Test both items using a candy thermometer and hot tap water, you will be able to hear them click on and off even without electricity going thru them.

Bolt components inside a waterproof box

softtubdiag.jpg

conventional.jpg

There you go, if the diagram isn't enough info, you aren't smart enough to do this, so don't, OK?

• 7 years later...

I wanted to add that there is a trick to get it to 106 (at least with my version that I just bought, model 300) It is to hold the 'Jets' button + the '↑" button for 10 seconds, this will kick it to 105. You can repeat and get to 106. It stops there though. I wish someone would come up with an easy hack for this. I really need 110 water for real relief.

• 7 months later...
On 12/2/2019 at 11:01 AM, Hutch said:

I wanted to add that there is a trick to get it to 106 (at least with my version that I just bought, model 300) It is to hold the 'Jets' button + the '↑" button for 10 seconds, this will kick it to 105. You can repeat and get to 106. It stops there though. I wish someone would come up with an easy hack for this. I really need 110 water for real relief.

I would like my new June 2020 Softub 220 to at least STAY at a warm 106 degrees -- at that temp I don't even break into a sweat. As the third owner of an old 25-year-old Softub 220 (which I posted for free on Craigslist because of unknown leaks) always STAYED at about 115 degrees. I would have to turn it down (via a dial) during the summer months. I was looking forward to freezing cold winter months at 115 degrees and welcome the zero degree outside temperature before going indoors. I want a full refund or sell it for what I paid for it. Very disappointed. I'm better off taking a hot shower!!