Aroma Therapy

biggz

Man you type a lot, and make it all confusing. AND still haven't solved the Mars Venus problem though.

Lets just go the easy routs. A rubber band and a ball of cotton.

1. Put rubber band around head, resting on upper lip

2. Put a few drops of fragrance on cotton ball.

3. Insert cotton ball under rubber band on upper lip.

4. Enjoy smellie stuff.

No patent required, no charge, and safe for kids and animals.

<bowing to the Dr.> Good Stuff! [chuckle]

Remember adding small incremental amounts of bath salts is only a plan if they are being used to deliver your aromatherapy. What the Chem Geek was saying is that there is validity to a salt-water soak, but realize they are using Epsom salt for these products only because are cheap, harmless, give the product some visible volume/presence, and combine the coloring and scent agents into a homogeneous glom they can whip up in a commercial mixer for packaging. There is no therapeutic strategy which would require you add regular small amounts of Epsom salt alone... although the obvious idea being a "chicken soup" thing for the purposes of aromatherapy delivery... couldn't hurt.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man you type a lot, and make it all confusing. AND still haven't solved the Mars Venus problem though.

4. Enjoy smellie stuff.

too funny... can't stop picturing it! ...then I imagine my own final fifteen minutes of fame ...found dead in the hottub ...used the rubber band off the brocolli ...definately too small ...cut off the (obviously already too weak) bloodflow to my brain ...catch the crime scene on YouTube.

hahah how about an aromatherapy clown noses? ...they don't sell them yet so make your own (withDoc's cotton ball) ...very sexy, check 'em out

http://www.justclownnoses.com/

4. Enjoy smellie stuff.

too funny... can't stop picturing it! ...then I imagine my own final fifteen minutes of fame ...found dead in the hottub ...used the rubber band off the brocolli ...definately too small ...cut off the (obviously already too weak) bloodflow to my brain ...catch the crime scene on YouTube.

hahah how about an aromatherapy clown noses? ...they don't sell them yet so make your own (withDoc's cotton ball) ...very sexy, check 'em out

http://www.justclownnoses.com/

'B0Darc', Now that's funny!! :lol::lol: You do that Doc? Now I'm really confused :blink:

BoDark, aka Bo Derek (the perfect 10), I'm from Venus, but put my rear in a hot tub smelling like lavender with a nice Cuban and I've died and gone to heaven. Love to talk more but I'm on my way into the pantry to crab a cigar and heading out to tub. Now if I could get my hubby to turn off the LSU /TN game.

Tiny, When he smoked, Fidel smoked COHIBA. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cohiba_(cigar_brand)

I love, love, love, love aromatherapy. Even with super chlorinating the tub for a trip, I still smell the plumeria from before we left.

TinyBubbles, what kind of liquid do you buy? I love the smell of plumerias, so I'd like to find what you use! Thanks!

:):)

Now I was just kidding about putting perfumed cotton balls into clown noses, but the concept is actually sound. Scents are often delivered on volatile chemicals that will melt your plastic tub shell, and I'm NOT talking about scents made FOR hottubs. I mean scents you might find at a health food store or cosmetic store... scents NOT made for hottubs. Most of the ones we have tried that were FOR hottubs just smelled like a particular brand of soap or shampoo.

Basically adding a scent to the water isn't really necessary although nice. Everyone has a favorite scent, but there are really too many to make that would be nice and OK for the water and the acrylic shell of your tub, and that is likely the reason the scents available smell so familiar (shampoo/soap). Non-hottub scents delivered by some oil or solvent (evaporates easily to carry the scent) may not only hurt your plastics but clog your filtration... over time. So finding something compatable to actually put IN your hottub is very limiting for any sophisticated scents.

What I was trying to say was you can find other ways to scent the air around your hottub if you get creative, just realise some of the hazards... like electrocution from your electric potpourri simmerer falling in the tub. See? so not all ideas are workable... but a metal bowl of nice fresh Plumeria scented potpourri could work... or simple candles. Just remember to protect YOU first (broken glass, fire, electric shock) and the hottub second. This task might be more easily accomnplished if we stopped focusing on ways to scent the water itself... somehow I am guessing companies have already spent small fortunes investigating that one. Let us know if you come up with something brilliant! hey I've already invented aromatherapy clown noses and shower caps... [puts on cape and leaves the stage]

Bo

Hi Goldengirl, the plumeria is from leisure time. It's a great one. We enjoy their cherry scent alot too. This weekend I bought two from Home Depot, I'll have to check on the brand (spa time, I think). They are great. One is purple, it's Bergamot fragrance. The other one is blue and I think it's eucalyptus. It seems like a little goes a long way with them. My hubby really liked them too.

Hi Goldengirl, the plumeria is from leisure time. It's a great one. We enjoy their cherry scent alot too. This weekend I bought two from Home Depot, I'll have to check on the brand (spa time, I think). They are great. One is purple, it's Bergamot fragrance. The other one is blue and I think it's eucalyptus. It seems like a little goes a long way with them. My hubby really liked them too.

'TinyBubbles' Nice to see the thread still has some life. :lol: I bought a sample 6 pack of "inSPAration". They came in little 15ml plastic pouches. They smell very nice but didn't last very long. Just one soak, but they offered me an alternative from the salts. I still prefer my salts. They last longer to me. Usually 2 soaks at 1 oz. :D

B0Darc, you make some great points. Have you friends thought about planting fragrant flowers or plants around the tub area. One of my passions is tropical plants. I planted a "Night blooming Jasmine" 15 ft from my tub. Actually the plant was there before the tub arrived, but when that baby blooms there is nothing on the planet that is more pleasing to me. I'm sure there are fragrant plants that are cold hardy, that if place strategically around the yard will give you months of wonderful smells. :D If you live in Florida (Goldengirl, ivieisme) you can also take advantage of the wonderful tropical fragrance it produces. You could also Tiny. Your a little more North, but this plant is pretty hardy down too 35 degrees. :D

Biggz, I had the same thought you did about the fragrant plants. Only problem is, I don't know if I'll be using the tub during warm weather when they are blooming. I have added gardenias and a variagated jasmine vine, I don't remember the variety offhand. Even if I'm not in the tub, we will be using the patio area.

I've read through the majority of this thread, and call me thick, but I 'm not sure if the general consensus is that alternatives to the aromatherapy products sold at spa dealer are acceptable or not. If so, what are they and where can they be purchased?

Can standard bath oils be safely used without harming the shell or chemical balance?

I've read through the majority of this thread, and call me thick, but I 'm not sure if the general consensus is that alternatives to the aromatherapy products sold at spa dealer are acceptable or not. If so, what are they and where can they be purchased?

Can standard bath oils be safely used without harming the shell or chemical balance?

Just bring an orange with you and sniff it when you want to smell somethig nice!

Boy Huey are you thick! Just kidding, I don't really think so, but you asked for it. I'm like you and still don't know what's safe or not safe. So far, I haven't strayed from products labeled for hot tub use. I have no doubt that there are substitutions, but due to poor labeling, I can't find exactly what ingredients are in them and in what amounts. I think Biggz is using salts that are listed as an ingredient on a spa product he had. I'm sure the salts in small amounts are ok, I just don't know what form of fragrance they are using. Part of me says that if you can use it in your bathtub, you can use it in your spa....after all it's the same pump. But, I don't have filters on my bathtub and I don't leave the water in my bathtub for 3 months. So, the debate rages on.

'huey graphite', your not thick, but I think you may need to read the entire thread. You see, we are talking about Aromatherapy. Not if "alternatives to the aromatherapy products sold at spa dealer are acceptable or not." In fact you are the only poster that has mentioned "spa dealer". :huh: This thread has absolutely nothing to do with dealers since the products that we are calling "Spa specific" can be purchased at dealers, pool stores, or Walmart. What we have been discussing is what are the active ingredients in the "Spa Specific " products vs other products that are safe to use in a hot tub at a reduced cost. Products that don't say spa. Namely Salts. We are also talking about the therapeutic benefits that salts offer. That's, why your not sure if the consensus is that alternatives to the aromatherapy products sold at spa dealer are acceptable or not. That's not the question. There are links in the prior post on this thread discussing the use and benefits of salts. There are also links to companies that manufacture salt products that are just as safe as the liquids. This thread was started specifically to explore what "Aromatherapy" is and nothing more. :D I provided a link showing the different scents that can be added to salt products and how to make your on salt products. see link:

http://www.tapstore.ca/vancouver-spa.html

http://www.queenhelene.com//batherapyoriginal2.php

I don't know if standard bath oil is safe for hot tubs. You'll have to do your research if that's what interest you. I have provided you with some evidence that salts can effectively be used in hot tubs with benefits or you could use "spatech's" high tech approach to aromatherapy. :lol:

Oh, oh, oh! I just found this on another thread. Someone mentioned that they had just bought a product called Calgon Ocean Breeze. I looked it up. It says it's non-foaming and perfect for spas and whirlpools. Time to do more investigating!

Tiny, I mentioned Calgon to you in post 27. Perfect for spas and whirlpools and cheaper too. :lol:

Hi all,

Happy to see that there are quite a few of you who are interested in aromatherapy.I have been a regular user of aromatherapy ever since i was introduced to it by a friend of mine a few years ago.Aromatherapy is a great way to relax and unwind after a hectic and tiring day.The essential oils can be massaged into the skin,added to the bath or inhaled.These essential oils help in improving our body and prevent illness.Approximately there are about 150 essential oils.

Hi all,

Happy to see that there are quite a few of you who are interested in aromatherapy.I have been a regular user of aromatherapy ever since i was introduced to it by a friend of mine a few years ago.Aromatherapy is a great way to relax and unwind after a hectic and tiring day.The essential oils can be massaged into the skin,added to the bath or inhaled.These essential oils help in improving our body and prevent illness.Approximately there are about 150 essential oils.

My point was they didn't have to be in the water to smell them. That concept opens you up to all of the 150 essential oils mentioned by John... 120 of which would probably not be suited for direct application to your acrylic shell. Adding a few drops of anything to the water should not be such a big deal however, considering it's highly diluted... by the 300-500 gallons of water ...BUUUUT (and that's a big but)

Manufacturers of specifically "Spa Fragrances" are only going to offer 100% tested fragrances. For example if they offered some truly exciting scent mixed with Epsom salt and you piled up in the outer dry corner of your shell (instead of dissolving it as directed)... because it was possible, and it caused any staining or melting of the acrylic... you would sue! Likewise if it affected your skin. Someone mentioned they liked Bergamot... I have a skin reaction to that. Focusing on adding it to the water means it must be compatible with your skin, the acrylic shell, your filter media, the chemistry of the water, and the mechanical components like pumps... wow. See why choices are somewhat limited? See how focusing on a non-water solution opens up the possibilities?

Another unanswered question (??) was "...how long does it last?" With all the reactive chemistry in your water designed to burn off anything organic, it should be obvious anything added to the water will only last 1-2 days at most.

The contents of the crystal products has already been discussed, and my understanding of it was your spa (say 400 gallons) can support several pounds of added Epsom salt, so a little Spazzaz or Calgon *regularly* is no biggie over the 2-3 month change out time of your water schedule. Won't hurt anything and may have some benefits. I would have to guess Calgon is more for jetted tub type of "spa" and Spazzaz is more concentrated scent-wise...is true?

Tinybubbles thanks in advance for any test results! I am sure the decision to add scents to Epsom salts is more of a way to market the scent than a way to get you to add a couple tablespoons of Epsom salts to the water... folks just like buying stuff by the pound, plus you can convince people anything is special (enough to buy) if you can paint it blue. Not to knock a nice soak in a scented Epsom salted bath!

Ok I have it... a nice enjoyable scent... not in the water (no compatibility problems there!) ...on the neck of your significant other... so no skin sensitivity issues ...you each can have your own favorite scents on the others neck ...and all the while you can remember why you got that dang hottub to begin with! His and hers Aromatherapy Earring Balls® ...Two scents in one tub! Man, I'm good... B)

Bo "pulling a muscle patting myself on the back" Darc

This year I bought a product by Zodiac called Cense Quiet Escape. It has MPS + Aromatherapy. If you add it to the spa before going in the aroma will last for over an hour.

Oh, oh, oh! I just found this on another thread. Someone mentioned that they had just bought a product called Calgon Ocean Breeze. I looked it up. It says it's non-foaming and perfect for spas and whirlpools. Time to do more investigating!

Tiny, I mentioned Calgon to you in post 27. Perfect for spas and whirlpools and cheaper too. :lol:

See Biggz, I don't pay attention to anything you say. :D

I've seen that. It's a great idea. Unfortunately, I break out when I use MPS. I think they have a few different scents, right?

Yes, they do have different scents, I forgot which one I got but it smells really nice. I put it in about 20 min. before I get in and it still smells nice for at least the time I'm in. The smell is not over powering and its gone by the next day.

Here's an article from another site that lists the advantages of different scents.

http://www.poolandspa.com/page556.htm

I've used a few different scents in my hot tub. I have no problem changing between scents. just wait for the old scent to fade (usually a day or two) and then add the new scent.

My favorite scent is a Cedarwood scent. I'm not much for the flowery products. But it's all personal choice.

My only complaint with scented oils is that my tub tends to start foaming more after I've used them for a while. I'm not sure if it's because of the brand that I use, or just because I need to clean my filters more often.

Rick. I checked out the site and it seems all you need is lavander and if you are a little under the weather maybe some pine. I'm picking up some lavander tomorrow. Thanks.

Hi biggz. Aromatherapy can really be experienced through essential oils. And my favorite has got to be Lavender essential oil since this does a lot of good stuff.

'brylle', Yes, essential oils is actually an active ingredient in many salt product as well. You can mix your own using essential oils and epsom salt or dead sea salts . You may have to buy dead sea salts online though. :P