Critters?

I started my arduous process of going from dealer to dealer to check out their product. At one dealer (Artic), the guy mentioned that there are problems with some other makes with critters (like mice) getting in and chewing on wires/hoses. He said we won't have that problem with the Artic because of the floor they have. I am also considering HotSpring and Caldera and they both said they don't have an issue with this because of their flooring. Is this a real issue or just a sales pitch? Are there access points for mice to get in?

He (the Artic dealer) showed me a cross section of a tub that had an obvious mouse nest and resulting damage so it obviously made me a bit concerned (our property is very wooded and we do occasionally get mice in our basement and garage).

Mice love hot tubs because the are warm and safe place to hide. you want to make sure your tub is secure. Mice can get thru small spaces in the cabinet or under the tub. You just need to check often.

There is a great herbal product called mouse way that really keeps them gone. Good luck.

Is this a real issue or just a sales pitch? Are there access points for mice to get in?

It is both a real issue and a sales pitch.

The reality is mice LOVE the warm space in a spa. However, the good manufacturers take steps to elminate the critter's entry points as best they can. All the makes you mentioned obviously have some sort of hard bottom to eliminate crevices for entry. Don't ignore the possibility but ask each dealer to show you what they've got and leave it at that.

It is both a real issue and a sales pitch.

The reality is mice LOVE the warm space in a spa. However, the good manufacturers take steps to elminate the critter's entry points as best they can. All the makes you mentioned obviously have some sort of hard bottom to eliminate crevices for entry. Don't ignore the possibility but ask each dealer to show you what they've got and leave it at that.

ABS pan, Forever floor, and mice way is the best to avoid that problem. I know when the Coleman spa used to have no seal they would find there way in eat the foam and leave a trail of doody behind and I just pictured that stagnent poopy air just entering the tub through the air injectors. LOL

ABS pan, Forever floor, and mice way is the best to avoid that problem. I know when the Coleman spa used to have no seal they would find there way in eat the foam and leave a trail of doody behind and I just pictured that stagnent poopy air just entering the tub through the air injectors. LOL

ABS pan? Forever floor? Brulan do all spa's have that or do you have to get a certain brand?

Those are the only sealed bottoms that I am completely aware of. However any spa with a solid bottom will do quite fine.

Ok. The models I carry do not have a drip pan, but are fully sealed, fully foamed with a metal rodent guard for the equipment bay and never hear of rodent problems at all. Your earlier comment mas misleading.

ABS pan? Forever floor? Brulan do all spa's have that or do you have to get a certain brand?

ABS molded bottom/ no fiberglass= Clearwater Spas (Standard)

Forever Floor/ rolled fiberglass= Arctic (option to add)

Another thing to consider about "sealed" bottoms is the materials around the bottom. Some "plastic" bottoms are stapled to a wooden frame. Some pressure treated wood is painted black to "look like" a plastic bottom. Some plastic bottoms have wood in the framing inside the pan. Some pans don't have drainage available in the case of a leak. I know of one that has an EPA approved insecticide completely surrounding the floor and the sides.

Another thing to consider about "sealed" bottoms is the materials around the bottom. Some "plastic" bottoms are stapled to a wooden frame. Some pressure treated wood is painted black to "look like" a plastic bottom. Some plastic bottoms have wood in the framing inside the pan. Some pans don't have drainage available in the case of a leak. I know of one that has an EPA approved insecticide completely surrounding the floor and the sides.

Amanda, would you happen to know what residual insecticide is used?

Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure if I was just getting one of those "scare the little lady with mice" lines or if this was a real issue.

In spite of folks mentioning that this is a "pitch" or a "scary sales tactic"... it definately IS a valid issue.

"scare the little lady with mice"... LOL! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's best to get a spa that will encourage relaxation instead of being concerned of critters. Great topic question! I'm glad that you asked.

Critters and other varmints can do a tremendous amount of damage if left unchecked. This is a 3 year old Brand X spa we took in on trade. Rats and squirrels decimated the exposed plumbing underneath the cabinet:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Buy a good quality spa that addresses these potential problems.

Terminator

Term has all the brands covered, but after those pics I'm starting to itch!

We have taken in trade-in spas in the past that have had mice nests in them. Usually these are spas that have not been used for a long time. We just recently picked one up from a customer that had a bees nest - complete with bees! Our guys had to CAREFULLY remove the hive and dodge the very angry bees until they got it up on the truck. :(

Since we have a few HotSprings guys here out of curiousity what kind of a sealed base does HotSprings have? I didn't remember seeing a ABS base on them. I know Marquis is another manufacturer that has an ABS type base as well.

Mice are amazing little creatures that can squeeze in through the tiniest of spaces. We've dealt with them for years in our campers (33' trailer, and 18' trailer) out at our camp. Each and every small crack has to be plugged up, especially in the fall . . . we usually use steel wool (without soap on it . . . for some reason, mice love soap) to plug the holes, and have found mice getting in through some holes that aren't much larger than the diameter of a couple of cigarettes (best comparison i can think of). Best thing, no matter the spa, check it regularly . . . access doors should be easy to get to and check inside, and block any cracks you might find, especially if you are in an area prone to mice. But try not to worry to much, and enjoy your spa.

Since we have a few HotSprings guys here out of curiousity what kind of a sealed base does HotSprings have? I didn't remember seeing a ABS base on them. I know Marquis is another manufacturer that has an ABS type base as well.

HotSpring has a 60lb density foam bottom, It's hard as rock, but then nothing is going to enter from the bottom if your spa is on a firm foundation with 4-6000 lbs of water and spa pressing down on it, where a rodent can enter is into the equipment compartment where the access panel is. A HotSpring has a metal mesh rodent barrier installed to prevent this very issue, those Watkins guys think of everything.

HotSpring has a 60lb density foam bottom, It's hard as rock, but then nothing is going to enter from the bottom if your spa is on a firm foundation with 4-6000 lbs of water and spa pressing down on it, where a rodent can enter is into the equipment compartment where the access panel is. A HotSpring has a metal mesh rodent barrier installed to prevent this very issue, those Watkins guys think of everything.

Can mice burrow through wood eventually from the base?

Can mice burrow through wood eventually from the base?

I'm not sure to be honest. These varmints evidently got in through the gaps between the shell and cabinet. The shell had warped and pulled away from the cabinet:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Terminator

That is a really good question about hotsprings. Not sure what the base is made out of according to my glance through the website searching for hte word bottom or base... ??? I'll look in some brochures and see. From what I remember last it was a harder spray on foam. It could be different now though.

Guzz supplied the answer on page 2. 60# high density rock hard bottom.

ABS plastic bottom on a Brand Z spa:

IPB Image

Bottom of a HotSpring Jetsetter:

IPB Image

Vermin can also get inside a hollow spa through gaps like this:

IPB Image

Terminator

That is a pretty good design for sure, the 60 lb. density foam is very hard, strong and waterproof. One thing I wondered after seeing the pic Terminator posted. The pic shows the bottom/base nicely sealed with the high density foam, however it looks as though wood framework underneath and around the perimeter would come in direct contact with the ground/or whatever it sits on (hopefully concrete). Just an observation, but I wonder if HotSprings has considered either countersinking the wood and foaming over the wood so all that would rest would rest on the ground would be foam. Another possibility would be using a composite material rather than wood. This might improve and already great base. Personally I would prefer the wood from contacting the ground and coming in continual contact with water that often splashes over the sides and stays around the base until evaporation occurs.