Deciding On Pool In Pa

Hello there,

I thought maybe I could add my .02 for what it's worth. I work for one of the larger pool companies in VA and we sell vinyl pools and vinyl only. We have been in business since 1960. We build roughly 100 new pools a year and install approx. 150 replacement liners per year.

Now that we got that out of the way...... Baro, there are a few things that I think you may also want to look at. The majority of people that I deal with, as a builder, seem to make the comment that if they could do things over, they would have added more patio. If you have the space (and budget) you can never have too much patio.

I am a fan of Fort Wayne products. They are good quality and have been in the game for quite some time. The only equipment we prefer to deal with is Hayward. Their stuff seems to be pretty much bullet-proof. We have had quite a bit of success with the Hayward Navigator pool cleaner. It is a suction side cleaner that doesn't require a second pump. Also, I dont think I have seen much mention of winter covers. There are several options out there and depending on the dealer, if it is not included in the package, it could be a bit of a shock to find out in the fall that you need to shell out another 1500.00 to cover the pool you just paid 40,000.00 for. These are just a few thoughts I had after reading the previous posts.

Best of luck to you

Thanks vp0101 I need someone to sort out all this stuff. I really don't know many people out here in PA with inground pools. One to be exact and they live where I used to live in PA so their guy is out. And where I live now, well they are mostly Amish( not knocking the Amish)but they don't have bathrooms much less a pool. I really like Sterling Pools by Fort Wayne but the two guys that put them in out here are way higher(even taking into account apples and oranges), like about $4500 more. Are Sterling Pools a higher priced pool vs. Cardinal? My other Question is liners, I see a lot of liners with the exact same patterns are they all getting them from a vinyl manufacturer and then seaming them to size? I posted about Infinity pools but could not find anything about there constuction--anyone know? They also make the Esther Williams and Johnny Weissmuller pools(above ground).

I think out of fustration I will just pick someone and get it over with! So quick, post before I make a huge mistake. Will check tomorrow around Noon.

Thank you to everyone that has offered advice--

Baro

One more thought is that if any of the dealers you have dealt with so far are at all reputable, I would not hesitate to ask for a list of references from each. Of course no one will give a bad referral on themselves but it can give you the opportunity to check out their work in person.

You won't believe this but after talking to the zoning office who three weeks ago said no problem(I'm in a flood area) said he had to go check it out with some one else. Anyway he called back today and said after reviewing the plans and definations of the township etc. They found no reason that we couldn't have a pool---what a relief. Boy that was a tense 24 hours. May be for all you people who are looking into getting a pool I'll post exactly what happens so you can learn from my mistakes. MISTAKE #1---Do not mess with the zoning officer. If he says see Linda on Saturday don't call back like I did to ask a question, just go see Linda.

Any way we are getting the following: 18x40x28x12 True ell, Steel Cardinal, 6' steps because of where I want them 8' won't fit. Sand Filter 244Hayward, Colorlogic light, Loop-loc safety cover, solar cover w/o reel, diving board,28mil liner, vermiculite bottom,2 returns and 2wide mouth skimmers,vac and autovac(dirt devil)(brand PG(pool guy) reccommends. Anyone know about these?, Buddy seat, PG doing electric,and I think that's it. Cost for pool only$27,900

Well I hope this helps some one out there contemplating a pool.

• 11 months later...

BARO Poollady & EASTCOAST.

This is a great post. You have answered alll my Questions. the pool you are getting is exactally what I am looking for and you are in PA also. If I could ask...what are the other prices you were quoted and the names of the contractors. I am in south eastren PA.

EASTCOAST

I would like to get a quote from you if you are ion my area. You sound very knowledgable about pools.

• 2 months later...

Hi there, I was just reading the replies to your initial question. My wife are considering on installing an inground pool as well in the Allentown region of PA, I am wondering how you made out. If you found a builder and have started the process of installing a pool. I could use any information possible, I am completely new to pools and at this point have no expecations of what I am getting ready to become involved in.

Thanks for you help,

Meix1217

We are trying to decide on a pool in NJ. I have had 3 quotes. 2 Gunite using pebbletec and one fiberglass. All disagree in whether to use ionization, salt or nature 2 chlorine (not sure about the name) but it uses less cholrine.

At this point I am so confused. I like the look of the Gunite, but am again worried about cracking.

We are trying to decide on a pool in NJ. I have had 3 quotes. 2 Gunite using pebbletec and one fiberglass. All disagree in whether to use ionization, salt or nature 2 chlorine (not sure about the name) but it uses less cholrine.

At this point I am so confused. I like the look of the Gunite, but am again worried about cracking.

IMHO, steel walls, vinyl liner pools are still the best way to go in the Northeast climate where you have freezing and thawing of the ground. We have been doing them for over 43 years with minimal problems.

Wow,

what a break for me! My wife and I in SE PA (Quakertown) are looking to get rolling on a vinyl inground pool, and we were at a loss to find quality info. This forum has been a godsend!

Any recommendations on local guys to do the work? And experiences we should be aware of??

Thanks for any help!