Overheating Cal Spa & Manual

chart_boy

I received a Cal Spa (8 person) FREE from a neighbor over a year ago. Overall, it has been working well and my investment is basically nill... I've only bought a new cover. Since I did not receive any operating manuals, I am fumbling around with the controls. I've learned the F2, F4, F6, F8, and FC codes from Cal Spa's current manuals. I get a OH code (I assume Over Heating) and the tub gets 108+. I have it set on F2 (sometimes F4: I understand F8 or FC can be a problem unless there is a special motor). However, the tub still gets to 105+. Any help in troubleshooting why it doesn't stop at 100 (current setting)? Also, I'd love to find out where I can get an operation manual for a 1998~2001 model spa. I'm not sure what one I have! So, two problems: 1) need to read a manual, and; 2) how do I stop the water from getting above desired settings. Thanks...

for a manual go to Calspas main page look acroos the bottom there is a manual link i think it goes to 2000. It appears there's might be something wrong with your thermostat. If it is a manual knob dont turn it all the way you will hit around 108 turn it 3/4 of they way and see if it stops climbing over 104

for a manual go to Calspas main page look acroos the bottom there is a manual link i think it goes to 2000. It appears there's might be something wrong with your thermostat. If it is a manual knob dont turn it all the way you will hit around 108 turn it 3/4 of they way and see if it stops climbing over 104

Pathfinder - thanks for the pointer(s). I just checked the knob (controls a switch by the heater manifold) you mentioned, and it was almost all the way turned out (adjusted). So, I gave it a couple of turns to dial it in. I hope that helps - I'll re-check tomorrow. As far as the manual, I found the site & a number to call. But, I still don't know what model (or year) I have. The controller has Premier and Genisis as potential options, but I can't see the moel or s/n. Thanks.

Thanks for the link. My spa must still be a few years older (1999?). I'm going to try and check again tonight. When I checked the water temperature this morning (after dialing in the switch a little on the heater manifild), the water temp was at 106. Can I meter the switch to see if it is working properly? If so, is it NO or NC? I'm open for any other ideas? I thought I'd turn the switch in further to see if it helps.

Thanks...

• 1 month later...

Can someone tell me why my thermostat shows 102 and my hot tub continues to run even when I have it set on (EC) at 99 degrees. It continues to run evn after it reaches its temp. WHAT CAN i DO AND WHAT SHOULD i SET THE SPA AT. I PURCHASED THE SPA BACK IN 2000 AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I AM HAVING ANY TROUBLE.

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone tell me why my thermostat shows 102 and my hot tub continues to run even when I have it set on (EC) at 99 degrees. It continues to run evn after it reaches its temp. WHAT CAN i DO AND WHAT SHOULD i SET THE SPA AT. I PURCHASED THE SPA BACK IN 2000 AND THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I AM HAVING ANY TROUBLE.

I'd suggest you look at the following:

1) Is the filter timing (FC, F2, F4, F6, FC, etc...) set to the proper code? I found on my CalSpa if it was set at F6, F8, or FC, it would overheat the water and shut-off. This is because it requires an additional motor for those cycles.

2) Is the heater water filtering to fast? I've been told the laws of Thermodynamics will come into play if the water is filtering to fast by the heater. I learned my low speed on the 2 speed motor was bad; which is why I have to do step 3 below.

2) Next, I would check your motor start swith/contacts. Mine had a problem there, which was causing Start Cap's to blow and the conacts needed to be replaced. It was tough finding the contacts, but they were $13 which beats $250 just for the replacement motor!

good luck...

chartboy, i'm having the same problem and in same situation. bought my neighbor's calspa 2100 (manuf. in 2002) just this summer and now that temps are dropping to cold, mine keeps overheating (OH). I keep it on standard set at 100 (but have not used EC) and when i check it, it never reads above that but next time i look it has overheated. i've been following your discussion w/ pathfinder. i think i have my FC at F2, but will have to check again. it seems to run alot, but i keep thinking its just the heater compensating for the cold. not sure where the heating manifold is you have been talking about to adjust the switch...any ideas?

well as an update, just spoke w/ a dealer's service rep and ran me through a few steps to check on reasons for OH:

1. open panel to make sure the valves are not closed or restricting water flow (they weren't)

2. make sure FC is on either F2 or F4 (its on F4...he recommends F2 for summer and F4 for winter)

3. check age of filter (have been meaning to replace anyway since i don't know when my neighbor last changed it)

so, I'll probably replace filter and wait and see before I call for service...

• 2 weeks later...
well as an update, just spoke w/ a dealer's service rep and ran me through a few steps to check on reasons for OH:

1. open panel to make sure the valves are not closed or restricting water flow (they weren't)

2. make sure FC is on either F2 or F4 (its on F4...he recommends F2 for summer and F4 for winter)

3. check age of filter (have been meaning to replace anyway since i don't know when my neighbor last changed it)

so, I'll probably replace filter and wait and see before I call for service...

jlo...

My tub seems to have leveld off and the water is now a constant 102 (as set). It did through a couple of OH codes, but when I pushed the juts button on the topside control panel it went off and worked fine ever since. It has now been a couple weeks or so. As far as my filter cartridge, I rinse it of about once every couple weeks or so.

I did have a problem with the heater working on low speed - it only would work on high due to the 2speed moter being bad. With the heater only working on high, the laws of thermodynamics effectedt the ability to obtain and hold a steady water temp as desird on the controls. So, I replaced the motor contacts (after some calls to GE & others to find the parts) and it now heats on low speed & works fine. Cost me ~ $15 +s/h for the motor contacts... Better than $300 to replace the motor.

Thanks for the note and keep me posted on the update. Cold in Detroit now, getting ready for a nice soak.

• 13 years later...

I have a Cal Spa CS 9000 and the temperature is overheating until it reaches around 110 degrees and shuts it off. Of course the temperature is set around 100 and I have lowered down more. I replaced the sensors and nothing. I thought it was a bad relay on the board but they seem fine after testing. What are you talking about with the FC 2 and FC4? Any suggestions on what to check next?

Thanks 

Clay Lerch 

16 minutes ago, Clay Lerch said:

thought it was a bad relay on the board but they seem fine after testing.

Sounds like a stuck relay to me. 

18 minutes ago, Clay Lerch said:

What are you talking about with the FC 2 and FC4?

A long filter cycle can overheat a spa. Does it overheat rapidly or take a few hours with the pump running the whole time?

Test voltage at the heater terminals when spa reaches set temp and heat indicator is off, but before it reaches 110.

Oh, and start your own thread, this one is 13 years old. Include pics of your equipment and circuit board so we know what YOU have.

• Like 1