Thermofloat Blanket Opinions?

mad4sax

Any opinions negative, positive or neutral on this product???

I live in central New York. Snow from October to April (Sometimes May!) ~150" of snow a year.

Temperatures to -20 in January and February. (Why do I live here????)

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/ThermoFloat-7...SAnQqmvJWyqFsjQ

Thanks...

I have a closed cell blanket not sure of brand. Works well in Rhode Island. If I am the only one in the spa on a cold night I kept the blanket in place and onld fold back the part in the seat I sit in.

I have to think it is saving me money, i also do not find as musch condinsation built up on the bottom of the hard foam cover when I open it.

I bought one of those thermal blankets and ended up taking it out of my tub. I have a new tub and it circulates every 12 hours. I would put on the thermal blanket at night and then open the tub the next morning and the blanket was always squished into a corner leaving half the tub or more uncovered. I figured that during the circulation cycle the blanket gets pushed to the side and that makes it useless to me cuz if it doesn't sit and cover the whole surface then to me it is a waste. If I was you I would check to see if your tub circulates by itself before buying a blanket. If it does circulate you may experience the same thing i went through. Good luck anyways.

• 1 year later...

This is late for this post, but not so for future visitors:

Don't waste your money on a ThermoFloat Spa Blanket. I only purchased this in the first place because the retailer discontinued the brand I was using. I have had 3 of them, the 3rd a free replacement because I complained: I was so frustrated that my 2nd corroded just as quickly as my first. Although it has a 1-year guarantee, this thing gets waterlogged in about 2 months, and the ozone corrosion/tearing starts in 3 months. Do use a blanket, but not this one.

The blanket mentioned above is only 1/8" thick. Being so thin and light weight it's going to have a tendency to bunch-up, as already described. A thicker, 1/4" blanket will not bunch up and will provide all the benefit they're designed for.

Don't waste your money on a ThermoFloat Spa Blanket. I only purchased this in the first place because the retailer discontinued the brand I was using. I have had 3 of them, the 3rd a free replacement because I complained: I was so frustrated that my 2nd corroded just as quickly as my first. Although it has a 1-year guarantee, this thing gets waterlogged in about 2 months, and the ozone corrosion/tearing starts in 3 months. Do use a blanket, but not this one.

The blanket mentioned above is only 1/8" thick. Being so thin and light weight it's going to have a tendency to bunch-up, as already described. A thicker, 1/4" blanket will not bunch up and will provide all the benefit they're designed for.

Gotta agree with other posters about the 1/8 inch thick blanket. We bought one and it bunched up easily and started to tear within a few months. We now have a 1/4 inch thick one that we bought from rhtubs.com. No bunching up, no tearing. It cost more but the extra cost was definitely worth it!

Sandi

Gotta agree with other posters about the 1/8 inch thick blanket. We bought one and it bunched up easily and started to tear within a few months. We now have a 1/4 inch thick one that we bought from rhtubs.com. No bunching up, no tearing. It cost more but the extra cost was definitely worth it!

Sandi

Oh man I was getting nervous from reading this thread !

Thanks Sandi !

I just ordered mine from RHTubs last night and I also got the spa cap.

I hope it helps !

John

Oh man I was getting nervous from reading this thread !

Thanks Sandi !

I just ordered mine from RHTubs last night and I also got the spa cap.

I hope it helps !

John

I've been using my blanket from RHTUBS for a little over a year now and all is well. You should have no problems, no bunching, no moving. Not sure how long it will last, but it already is well worth the money.

My blanket arrived last night, seems like its going to do well.

I ran the jets on high and it did not move at all !

Also got a Spa Cap from RHTubs too, it is like a Heavy duty tarp with an elastic

cinch that goes around the whole tub.

Certainly will keep the snow off the cover and not blow into the woods !

John

Also got a Spa Cap from RHTubs too, it is like a Heavy duty tarp with an elastic

John

When I had a bubble blanket I did not cut it to fit the tub. I instead placed it over the entire top of the tub and placed the cover on it. That way it never bunched up but still protected the underside of the cover from the moisture, steam, etc.

I now use a thermal blanket and for no other reason than laziness I have done the same with the thermal blanket. It seems to work fine and may make it easier to fold back out of the way when using the tub.

The thermal blanket helps prevent evaporation which is the major heat loss. It doesn't matter as much how "insulating" it is rather than how it helps prevent evaporation. Therefore, it is more important to keep it on the surface.

Of course I may be wrong but I don't think I am loosing any water due to evaporation. Both the bubble blanket was and now the thermal blanket fit tigh to the top of the tub and the cover sits on top of it. The underside of the cover is always dry and so is the top of the thermal blanket. There is really no where for the moisture to go.

I ordered the floating blanket from RHTUBS on Monday. Have not received it yet, but we live in Vermont, so I expect it will take some time to get here.

Sounds like it's best to cut the blanket and have lay on the surface. What is the best way to cut this blanket, so it fits snug? Any special cutters required? Also, is there any noticeable difference in how much heat loss you have after putting this blanket on? Any improvement from prior to having the blanket on?

John

I ordered the floating blanket from RHTUBS on Monday. Have not received it yet, but we live in Vermont, so I expect it will take some time to get here.

Sounds like it's best to cut the blanket and have lay on the surface. What is the best way to cut this blanket, so it fits snug? Any special cutters required? Also, is there any noticeable difference in how much heat loss you have after putting this blanket on? Any improvement from prior to having the blanket on?

John

I ordered mine on a Monday as well, it showed up on the following wednesday.

The cover will be folded up in a box, so you will need to let it flatten out a bit before cutting.

I just opened the tub and layed it in covered it back up for about 2 hours.

After that I used a pair of scissors to cut it in, I left it a little over so I can trim it up better when its

not so windy and cold.

Hard to say how much its doing , It seems like there is less steam coming out of the tub but I dont have any

numbers to really say how much better.

Just seeing how when the cover is open there is no steam rising out....none at all when I was cutting it...it has to be working

John

I ordered mine on a Monday as well, it showed up on the following wednesday.

The cover will be folded up in a box, so you will need to let it flatten out a bit before cutting.

I just opened the tub and layed it in covered it back up for about 2 hours.

After that I used a pair of scissors to cut it in, I left it a little over so I can trim it up better when its

not so windy and cold.

Hard to say how much its doing , It seems like there is less steam coming out of the tub but I dont have any

numbers to really say how much better.

Just seeing how when the cover is open there is no steam rising out....none at all when I was cutting it...it has to be working

Got my floating blanket yesterday. I took it out of the box and laid it as is on the surface of the tub. Will trim later today as the weather is sunny and much calmer.

It didn't appear to help much last night, but again, it was not trimmed and that is only after 1 day. Will monitor the next few days after it's trimmed and hopefully will see some improvement in maintaining the water temp

Also got a Spa Cap from RHTubs too ...

I got my floating blanket from rhtubs.com in August. Last night, I noticed that it is starting to come apart where the 2 pieces of foam are welded together. I sent a PM to Dr. Spa asking for suggestions to repair it. His response was to call for a replacement, as it is under warranty! I just got off the phone and a new blanket is on its way!! How great is that??? Thanks, Doc! Merry Christmas to you, too!

Sandi

I got a RHTubs closed cell blanket for my new spa. I had just trimmed it to fit (with a scissors) the night before last. That night we had very high winds. When I got up in the morning, the cover was folded back but the blanket was floating snug in the tub. I never used the tie-downs on my old spa because the spa is in a sheltered location, but the new cover need it I guess. At any rate, I am very happy with the performance of the RHtubs blanket. It is quite easy to trim with scissors.

• 12 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Old thread, but I've got questions because I'm a hot tub noob....

My dealer included a blanket with my spa.  He said to drape it over the tub under the cover and not cut it to fit.  He said this is to save the life of my cover.  I live in Oregon with mild temperatures.

This thing is ugly, and its a pain to deal with.  Is it really necessary?  Aren't hot tub covers made for hot tubs?