Sundance Optima Electrical Issue

jimbos

We recently purchased a 05 Optima froma private party. Upon using our new tub the two motors jets shut down, the control panel light goes dim but the circulation pump still operates to my knowledge we have a short somewhere, and I dont want to spend the $130.00 per hour and the $50.00 travel rate plus parts to have the "local" dealer repair it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

We recently purchased a 05 Optima froma private party. Upon using our new tub the two motors jets shut down, the control panel light goes dim but the circulation pump still operates to my knowledge we have a short somewhere, and I dont want to spend the $130.00 per hour and the $50.00 travel rate plus parts to have the "local" dealer repair it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Check to see that you actually have 220 voltage at the spa. could be that your service disconnect has two fuses ,and one of them has blown, line one a great many tubs require 220 for the heater only, the rest of the equip is 110 volts

the tub will look like it's working "all 110 volt items" yet no 220 volt heat. happens every day.

• 2 weeks later...
Well whatever he did, did not last. Any other suggestions. The tub was moved aprox 90 miles from previous owners home.....

When the control panel "goes dim," is there any display at all?

On a Sundance Optima, there are no 110v components. If the tub is only getting 110v, it will normally go into "lock" mode and won't be able to unlock. If there is no display when it goes out, your tub may be going into watchdog mode and then the lines are fading out.

It could be as simple as a temperature sensor. A couple of other things to check:

1) The 2 capacitors on the circuit board near the Eprom (probably says 9.50B on the eprom). They look like small soda cans sticking straight out of the board. Make sure they are flat on top, not popped up.

2) The transformer. Inside with the circuit board is the transformer. It has yellow, blue, black, and red wires coming out of it. See if you can figure out which brand of transformer it is. If it is an "excellent" brand transformer, it should be replaced. (oh the irony)

3) Does the tub have a CD ozonator? If so, try unplugging that and seeing how the tub runs.

:D The display does not totally go dark when we have the issue, it just goes dim. We do have the "excellent" transformer. Do you know if the transformer was a "recall" item or are they just bad xformers?

Could it be a software thing as we have a rev 9.51a oin the eeprom.

We have an "ozone 3" ozonator, I assume it is an aftermarket as there are a few wires from the harness that are taped off.

Thank you very much for your insights, ciderjack!

:D The display does not totally go dark when we have the issue, it just goes dim. We do have the "excellent" transformer. Do you know if the transformer was a "recall" item or are they just bad xformers?

Could it be a software thing as we have a rev 9.51a oin the eeprom.

We have an "ozone 3" ozonator, I assume it is an aftermarket as there are a few wires from the harness that are taped off.

Thank you very much for your insights, ciderjack!

There was never a recall, but they were one of those things that if you saw it out in the field, it was supposed to be replaced. It can cause weird issues like the ones you are having.

First off, thank you to all who gave input / guidance to my questions.

We finally got the correct transformer and at about 70% of what our local dealer would have charged us through a member here. I just got through installing the transformer, just in time for the thunder and lighting to arrive. ARRRRG I hate ups they delivered my part at 10 to eight.

Well we'll have to wait until morning to ensure the transformer was the bad part.

Again,

THANK YOU ALL!