Master Spa Vs Down East

I'm in the process of purchasing my first spa. I've narrowed my search to either a Hot Spring, Master Spa or Down East. In my research it seems that most people love their Hot Spring Spa and I probably couldn't go wrong with one. Though it wasn't as strong as an opinion many liked their Master Spa and Down East Spas too.

But, when I walked into the local Hot Springs show room I felt like I'd met the used car salesman of the year. He did a lot of trash talking of other brands and I believe at least some of it to be incorrect. (Like Master Spa shells are weak because they go around poking 70+ holes in them. Well many of the Master Spa jets are in the master blasters, so they aren't poking that many holes in their shells!) Yet, I won't rule out a Hot Spring until I've done a wet test of both companies spas.

The Master Spa/Down East dealer was very friendly and informative. My neighbor who's opinion I respect bougth a spa from him a few years ago and has high respect for how the dealer does business.

My main questions have to do with Master Spa vs Down East. I'm looking at the Master Spa LS750 and the Down East Cape Cod SE.

1) The impression I have is that the quality of the structure, shell, skirt, insulation, parts,etc of both is the same. Would you agree? What about the heater? Can't find any specs on the Down East heater?

2)The Down East has half the filtration for about the same size Master Spa. Is the filtration on the Down East inadequate? Or is the filtration on the Master Spa overkill? If the DE filtration is adequate, why would more be better?

3) The Master Spa (MS) has 24 hour filtration while the Down East (DE) filters automatically "when the temperture of the water drops" Is one of these systems better than the other or does it really matter that much?

4) MS has 4 pumps the DE has 3. Is 4 overkill? What should I be looking for when I test it?

5) The only other major difference I see is that on the DE I have to pay extra for the ozonator and for additional warrenty to match the warrenty on the MS. Which still gives me a spa I think I'll like for about $1500 cheaper. (of course I'll wet test before I buy)

Am I missing anything important?

I'm in the process of purchasing my first spa. I've narrowed my search to either a Hot Spring, Master Spa or Down East. In my research it seems that most people love their Hot Spring Spa and I probably couldn't go wrong with one. Though it wasn't as strong as an opinion many liked their Master Spa and Down East Spas too.

But, when I walked into the local Hot Springs show room I felt like I'd met the used car salesman of the year. He did a lot of trash talking of other brands and I believe at least some of it to be incorrect. (Like Master Spa shells are weak because they go around poking 70+ holes in them. Well many of the Master Spa jets are in the master blasters, so they aren't poking that many holes in their shells!) Yet, I won't rule out a Hot Spring until I've done a wet test of both companies spas.

The Master Spa/Down East dealer was very friendly and informative. My neighbor who's opinion I respect bougth a spa from him a few years ago and has high respect for how the dealer does business.

My main questions have to do with Master Spa vs Down East. I'm looking at the Master Spa LS750 and the Down East Cape Cod SE.

1) The impression I have is that the quality of the structure, shell, skirt, insulation, parts,etc of both is the same. Would you agree? What about the heater? Can't find any specs on the Down East heater?

2)The Down East has half the filtration for about the same size Master Spa. Is the filtration on the Down East inadequate? Or is the filtration on the Master Spa overkill? If the DE filtration is adequate, why would more be better?

3) The Master Spa (MS) has 24 hour filtration while the Down East (DE) filters automatically "when the temperture of the water drops" Is one of these systems better than the other or does it really matter that much?

4) MS has 4 pumps the DE has 3. Is 4 overkill? What should I be looking for when I test it?

5) The only other major difference I see is that on the DE I have to pay extra for the ozonator and for additional warrenty to match the warrenty on the MS. Which still gives me a spa I think I'll like for about $1500 cheaper. (of course I'll wet test before I buy)

Interesting story. In most markets the way you describe the dealers is just the opposite.

Just curious, did the Master dealer tell you their discretited Microban story? Did they tell you their NSF drinking water story? Did they tell you their undocumented cost of operation claims? Did they tell you their magnet story?

What else did the Hot Spring people tell you that was false? The weak shell claim because of 70 holes is pretty silly, I agree. But to claim the master blaster is several jets is silly also. If the Master Blaster is several jets, so is the soothing seven.

The wet test is important. Which Hot Spring are you looking at? You should be looking at the Vanguard and Tiger River Caspian.

I always though DE was a value line from MS. Just not as well put together. As long as there is 50 SF of filter minumum and it filters for 4 hours a day it should keep the water clean and clean with a proper sanitation regimen and reguler filter cleanings.

I own an MS LSX which I'm very happy with after almost 2 years of service. I highly recommend the MS line. I'm not familiar with the DE line except that it is the secondary MS line as Roger mentions.

With that said, I would suggest that you let your wet tests, dealer comfort and budgetary constraints be your guides. If you can afford to buy any manufacturer's primary line of tubs, do so. If you cannot afford the primary line, then look secondary. Dealer comfort is a major consideration. I certainly wouldn't buy from the HS dealer you mentioned--no sales technique is less effective that trashing the competition...the primary reason I wouldn't consider a Sundance purchase...our local SD dealer was way more concerned that I know all of the shortcomings of the local HS dealer rather than concentrating on the features of his own tubs...immediate turn-off.

To address your questions:

1) Since I'm not familiar with the DE line, go with the MS line if your budget allows. I love my LSX and, so far, all systems have operated properly save one spinner jet that was replaced under warranty.

2&3) I would not be worried about the filtration on the DE. I'm sure it is more than adequate though I might add that those tubs with ozonators and/or 24 hr. circulation pumps MAY allow for a bit less sanitizer use and possibly a bit less user intervention.

4) MS has 3 therapy pumps and 1 24 hr. circ pump. This setup is in no way overkill. Actually, the three therapy pumps (2--2 speed, 1--1 speed) along with the adjustability of individual jets gives the MS line a very high degree of adjustability...probably the most outstanding feature of MS. If you want a very rigorous massage or if you desire a nice, light relaxing soak, the MS pump/jet setup is very effective.

5) As I said previously, if you can afford the primary manufacturer's line, definitely go for it. If your budget is constrained, go secondary.

I reiterate: Wet test, wet test, wet test. Find a dealer with which you are comfortable. Buy as much tub as your budget can afford. Best of luck in your search.

Interesting story. In most markets the way you describe the dealers is just the opposite.

Just curious, did the Master dealer tell you their discretited Microban story? Did they tell you their NSF drinking water story? Did they tell you their undocumented cost of operation claims? Did they tell you their magnet story?

What else did the Hot Spring people tell you that was false? The weak shell claim because of 70 holes is pretty silly, I agree. But to claim the master blaster is several jets is silly also. If the Master Blaster is several jets, so is the soothing seven.

The wet test is important. Which Hot Spring are you looking at? You should be looking at the Vanguard and Tiger River Caspian.

Might I suggest that you not follow the example of the HS dealer that ptcather mentioned. Your comments are diluted by negativity just as the HS dealer's sales potential is harmed by his.

BTW, I'm only familiar with 2 MS dealers and neither told any of the stories you claim. Then again, the ones you are talking about would be discussing their own products and not bashing others.

I'm interested to know why you think Microban is discretited. Please visit www.microban.com and educate yourself, because you are obviously misinformed. By the way, NSF isn't a story either. Please visit www.nsf.org and continue your education. Show me one valid operational guarantee from any spa manufacturer, one that doesn't make the customer jump through a never-ending line of hoops. DId you know that Lineas C. Pauling (sp?) won the Nobel Prize for discovering the medicinal properties of magnets? All those scientists must be wrong, and Hot Springs is right!

So much for my rant. Down East is a very nice spa, especially for the money. I would upgrade to the extended warranty, which would give you the same warranty as the Master Spa. Five years P and L on most everything, even jets!! The heater uses M7 technology, long-story-short, no-fault for 5 years.

Might I suggest that you not follow the example of the HS dealer that ptcather mentioned. Your comments are diluted by negativity just as the HS dealer's sales potential is harmed by his.

BTW, I'm only familiar with 2 MS dealers and neither told any of the stories you claim. Then again, the ones you are talking about would be discussing their own products and not bashing others.

Sorry for the negativity. I was not bashing, simply relating stories that were told to me personally by Master Spa salespeople. Perhaps in other parts of the country they are more professional. Glad to hear that the stories were dealer stories, not manufacturer stories.

Sorry for the negativity. I was not bashing, simply relating stories that were told to me personally by Master Spa salespeople. Perhaps in other parts of the country they are more professional. Glad to hear that the stories were dealer stories, not manufacturer stories.

I would buy from the DEALER you feel most comfortable with, not the brand of spa. Ask for references. Call the references and see what kind of service they got, and how they are being treated AFTER the sale. That is more important (IMO) than anything from the manufacturer.

I would buy from the DEALER you feel most comfortable with, not the brand of spa. Ask for references. Call the references and see what kind of service they got, and how they are being treated AFTER the sale. That is more important (IMO) than anything from the manufacturer.

That is often stated and while true, if I wasn't thrilled with the product or the manufacturer's reputation my liking the dealer will only be worth so much to me. They both have pretty equal value. For instance, personally I wouldn't get a Cal Spa if Santa Claus was the dealer so it's not that simple of a formula.

That is often stated and while true, if I wasn't thrilled with the product or the manufacturer's reputation my liking the dealer will only be worth so much to me. They both have pretty equal value. For instance, personally I wouldn't get a Cal Spa if Santa Claus was the dealer so it's not that simple of a formula.

While there are exceptions, most dealers want their customers to be happy. That leaves the product as the variable in the equation.

It's a shame that you were put off HotSprings by some poor sales techniques, when will these idiot sales people understand that todays customers are sick and tired or the used car sales routine. If any of you are out there reading this, take note, there are better ways to make a living in sales than being a slime ball. Try listening to your customers wants and needs and sell your product for what it has, not what somebody elses does'nt.

It's a shame that you were put off HotSprings by some poor sales techniques, when will these idiot sales people understand that todays customers are sick and tired or the used car sales routine. If any of you are out there reading this, take note, there are better ways to make a living in sales than being a slime ball. Try listening to your customers wants and needs and sell your product for what it has, not what somebody elses does'nt.

You have to develop the wants by probing deeper into the customers needs. You can't just ask the prospect if he wants something, at least not in so direct manner. You need to lead the prospect to the want stage through effective probing or questioning. Open ended questions are a great way to lead. Once you've uncovered or discovered the prospect's real wants, your job is to see if you can make it substantial enogh to outweigh your prospects mythical, "It's not in the budget", concern. I personally do not like to hear its not in the budget unless it really isn't. You can buy a car even though the one you have runs fine just because you want it. Alot of people find ways to buy something they want regardless whether it is in the budget or not. I have many examples of customers that walked in not expecting to buy anything and walked out with a 8000 dollar item and accessories with it. The secret is not to push your customer or prospect to their "wants" by selling; but to lead him or her their with your questions. Once your prospect, not you, decides he really wants what you're selling, the sale is done. Wants outweigh needs and when the prospect truly wants it, budget concerns are minimized.

You have to develop the wants by probing deeper into the customers needs. You can't just ask the prospect if he wants something, at least not in so direct manner. You need to lead the prospect to the want stage through effective probing or questioning. Open ended questions are a great way to lead. Once you've uncovered or discovered the prospect's real wants, your job is to see if you can make it substantial enogh to outweigh your prospects mythical, "It's not in the budget", concern. I personally do not like to hear its not in the budget unless it really isn't. You can buy a car even though the one you have runs fine just because you want it. Alot of people find ways to buy something they want regardless whether it is in the budget or not. I have many examples of customers that walked in not expecting to buy anything and walked out with a 8000 dollar item and accessories with it. The secret is not to push your customer or prospect to their "wants" by selling; but to lead him or her their with your questions. Once your prospect, not you, decides he really wants what you're selling, the sale is done. Wants outweigh needs and when the prospect truly wants it, budget concerns are minimized.

Too long winded. Customers value there time.

Do you value your time or did you take the time to read my post?

I thought your post had some interesting points brulan, don't worry about grahamtasias rude comments, he is a bitter and twisted HotSpring sales guy, who has voodoo dolls of Watkins management team that he sticks needles in. This was brought on by his ill feelings of the Costco Highlife spa.

pt,

Did you not see my response to your questions? Look at page 1 of this thread and let me know if I can be of further help.

Yes. Thank you. You and "Roger" are the only ones who have been helpful. I was just hoping I could get opinions by someone who knows about the Down East.

Thanks Again

I thought your post had some interesting points brulan, don't worry about grahamtasias rude comments, he is a bitter and twisted HotSpring sales guy, who has voodoo dolls of Watkins management team that he sticks needles in. This was brought on by his ill feelings of the Costco Highlife spa.

:lol: Majestical VooDoody