Paint Or Epoxy Or Plater

help? i don't have 6k to replaster my old pool. can i paint or epoxy it? will it hold up? or should i just save up for new plaster? the surface is rough and stained and it looks dirty but no major cracks or leaks. any help or info would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time.

help? i don't have 6k to replaster my old pool. can i paint or epoxy it? will it hold up? or should i just save up for new plaster? the surface is rough and stained and it looks dirty but no major cracks or leaks. any help or info would be greatly appreciated. thanks for your time.

epoxy pool paint kelly zeron and gunzite primer

proper prep will give 5 to eight years and surface will not be poures [porous?]

jeff@poolguy.com

You can paint the pool but it will be a temporary bandaid. You will be lucky in most cases to get more than 2 or three years out of a good pool paint job. The paint will get oxidized by your pool chemicals and over time it does rub off on people that rub against the sides. If its not unbearable to live with and it were my pool I would live with it and start saving up for a new plaster job. Is the roughness from etching or scale buildup?

• 3 years later...

A friend's parents have resurfaced their inground gunite pool w/ epoxy at least 2 or 3 times. If memory serves, each application served them 7 years or so. My friend's dad did it himself and he's a very meticulous guy (former GE engineer) so its longetivity might have had something to do w/ his attention to detail. I remember swimming in their pool a few summers ago, just before the most recent resurfacing, and while the epoxy was getting a bit rough in spots, there wasn't any real discoloration.

Zeron used to be a great paint that never chalked or flaked, and then they started to change the chemistry to supposedly make it more "environmentally friendly" by reducing VOCs and such. The new paint is not better for the environment. The new paint is a disaster. The chemical change was driven purely by PR B.S, not real science. I will never paint a pool again.

Hi,

My 20-year old Anthony pool also needs replastering soon, but I'm trying to postpone the inevitable as long as I can. Some spots of bare gunite are showing through over the past few seasons, but I found a good underwater fast-set cement at poolcenter.com that seems to work pretty well. It covers the spots up, and really looks pretty decent. I realize you are talking about large areas and/or the entire shell, but I just thought I'd mention this product in case you felt the need to repair small areas. Best of luck....

three4rd

Spoke w/ my friend earlier tonight, he confirmed his parents get 6-8 years from resurfacing w/ epoxy. The pool has a concrete bottom and fiberglass walls. They do experience "chalking" or white residue on feet, knees and elbows after a few years but no other issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Your options are:

1) Paint with an acrylic pool paint yourself. This paint will last one to two seasons and will cost between $600-$800 for the paint itself. Since it is a water based paint you can easily apply it yourself.

2) Paint with an expoxy based paint. These will last between 4 and 7 seasons depending on the brand you buy and the paint will cost close to $1000 or more. The trick with these is that the pool must be 100% dry and the concrete must be moisture tested to ensure that the paint will bond. Additionally you will need more than a few days of warm and sunny weather for the paint to dry. Go and take a look at some of this paint and read the application instruction thoroughly. I am sure that you will find the painting instructions to be intimidating as there are many ways to botch an epoxy paint job - even by "professionals"

3) Plastering the pool surface is the correct choice for your pool. the only disadvantage is the prohibitive cost. Since paints will be $1000 anyway you should put that money into savings towards having the pool replastered. A good plaster can last 20 years or more so my vote is for plastering.

I hope this information is helpful.

S