Best Costco Spa

Well thats what they want you to believe, and I did for a short while, it may have a few short comings but come on, you and I were selling this mold as the HotSpring Anniversary Sovereign Le in 2002.

Looks like a HS, built like a HS, Feels like a HS, Guess what?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest worry...do you trust that if you have a problem with the Costco spa (Highlife) you just call up Costco and they're going to have someone there to answer any questions or any problems you might have.

Also if they do have someone to service it...are they factory trained or a random service man.

I understand the upfront savings of money but will it mean anything to you in the long run.

It kind of reminds me of Thermospas...no dealer service and POSSIBLE service nightmares

My only thoughts...good luck

My biggest worry...do you trust that if you have a problem with the Costco spa (Highlife) you just call up Costco and they're going to have someone there to answer any questions or any problems you might have.

Also if they do have someone to service it...are they factory trained or a random service man.

I understand the upfront savings of money but will it mean anything to you in the long run.

It kind of reminds me of Thermospas...no dealer service and POSSIBLE service nightmares

My only thoughts...good luck

Costco has contracted with Watkins who have contracted with dealers to provide service.

• 5 months later...

If you need a repair after year 1 and you choose to keep your spa, you will pay for parts and labor for the service call on the Costco.com Highlife spa. Parts and labor covered if a dealer based Hot Spring spa. However, for the price difference you can pay for a lot of service calls.

How would you return a spa to Costco? How ethical would it be to return the spa after a year?

No FUDs intended. Simply education and disclosure. Given your posts, I would recommend you get the Highlife and enjoy it.

youd return it the same way it was deliverd, in a truck or on a trailer. how ethical is it for a dealer to charge 3k more for a silliar tub?

youd return it the same way it was deliverd, in a truck or on a trailer. how ethical is it for a dealer to charge 3k more for a silliar tub?

No one is charging $3k for the same tub. Now, you used the word "similar" and that is where things get murky.

I think the Costco tubs can be a pretty decent deal for the right people but they're not equivalent to a tub that goes for $3k more IMO. If you think it's what you want then go for it, but there is no ethical issue with dealers selling non-Coscto spas for $3k more, they aren't the same tub and we can disagree forever on deciding just how "simialr" they are.

Hot Sprigs to Hot Springs same high end line not Hot Spot and also near same equipment. No doubt the H.S. dealer wouldn't sell that tub for the same but thousands more otherwise it would be on the dealers floor. I think the spa industry giants such as H.S. Caldera, Sundace ect. are looking at direct sales without showrooms as a trial wether to proceede that route or go a different route

Are you assuming that different product lines, from the same manufacturer, will be of the same quality?

Not at all , just if the pump is a waveflow in the highlife and the circ pump is a silent flow, the masage unit is a moto masage and shell is the same the actually the qualty of the H.S. because it is one. Just the same as a Mercury sable is the same quality as a Ford Taurus, there the same car just different options or trim levels. whats funny is a while back the warranty was different as well now the Ford and Merury are the same.

Not at all , just if the pump is a waveflow in the highlife and the circ pump is a silent flow, the masage unit is a moto masage and shell is the same the actually the qualty of the H.S. because it is one. Just the same as a Mercury sable is the same quality as a Ford Taurus, there the same car just different options or trim levels. whats funny is a while back the warranty was different as well now the Ford and Merury are the same.

Don't assume that just because some of the components are the same the spas are equal. To remind you of the comment you made regarding Clearwater spas being on par with Costco spa just because some of the components are the same. The shell on a Clearwater Ultra series (one of the most important components) is far superior to to any spa Costco sells. No question about it. If you look close comparing a 4K Costco spa to a 8 or 9K spa is like comparing apples to oranges. Don't fool yourself, you pay for what you get in this world. You can't but a Chevy and start comparing it to a Lexus, unless you have a tainted view of reality. Your Costco spa may be a great value for the money but, don't expect many to believe your 4K Costco spa is as good or better than a named brand spa costing 3-5K more. That simply is not the case. I fully agree with Spatech's response.

Don't assume that just because some of the components are the same the spas are equal. To remind you of the comment you made regarding Clearwater spas being on par with Costco spa just because some of the components are the same. The shell on a Clearwater Ultra series (one of the most important components) is far superior to to any spa Costco sells. No question about it. If you look close comparing a 4K Costco spa to a 8 or 9K spa is like comparing apples to oranges. Don't fool yourself, you pay for what you get in this world. You can't but a Chevy and start comparing it to a Lexus, unless you have a tainted view of reality. Your Costco spa may be a great value for the money but, don't expect many to believe your 4K Costco spa is as good or better than a named brand spa costing 3-5K more. That simply is not the case. I fully agree with Spatech's response.

But people can and do buy camry/ lexus 3oo...... sequia / Lexus 470 ....... everyday knowing there essentially the same as a Lexus useing the same technology and components and absolutely no less quality whatsoever! Options and prestige yes, quality no! lets see Nissan does the same... sentra/Infinnity g-20......Armada/Q56....... You get the Idea here. That's reality not perception. I don't expect my Camry's quality is as good as a Lexus 300 but errrr :unsure: .......It Is and no one will disput that. If you say its not a nice, I'll agree there as I'd love that gold Lexus emblem in my garage. One more thing......The camry was thousands less then the Lexus but I guess the paint on the Lexus is far superior to anything that (costco) Toyota has. Also Hydrospa sure has a better warranty on the structure and shell the Clearwater ????? wonder why!

[quote name='paintnsunni' date='Nov 2 2006, 04:53 AM' post='15292 Also Hydrospa sure has a better warranty on the structure and shell the Clearwater ????? wonder why!

Talk is cheap, having a great "lifetime" warranty isn't worth much unless they back it. Judging from others posts in here I'd say Hydrospas rep is questionable at best. What is the lifetime of a cheaper spa as opposed to a higher quality one anyway? My spa has a twenty year warranty on the shell. Have you seen a cross sectional cut of a Clearwater spa compared to a other spas? I have and it is incredible how well the shell on a Clearwater is constructed in comparison to other spas. Good luck with your purchase. I agree to disagree with you on this one.

Actually I did like the shell and was impressed! What didn't impress me was the 4k differance in price or to be more realistic double the price all on the merrits of a shell.....I haven't seen a rash of shell failures from any manufacturer except a few H.S. models but not anymore. So if you feel its ok to pay twice the cost of a spa when the lower priced one has a industry standard well proven and trusted design then go for it but don't say the Hydrospa shell is cheaper or imply it's sub standard. Otherwise you'd have to say most spa manufactures are useing a inferior shell. The steel frame is a good idea I agree but have heard a few issues of noise transmission and condensation issues possible. I love the fact that I live in the Northwest and there is a quality spa manufacturer in Woodinville, I just couldn't justify the cash outlay from 4k to 8k for a very simmilar tub.If you count out the differance in price thats a stack of forty one hundred dollar bills that I would have had to pay. didn't make finnancial sense just for a different shell so we can dissagree and be freinds, heck my neighbor got the ultrasage 9000 and I think its cool, thats the one the mariners or seahawks use...

Happy tubbing.

My guess is that NewNWSpaOwner and Paintdummy --who can neither spell nor write-- are working for Hydrospa because both claim to be amateurs yet regularly shoot little personal attacks at other posters who disagree with them or post negative info about Hydrospa. Paintdummy also dispenses advice as if he --or she-- is a spa expert and seems to know an awful lot about solving troubles with Hydrospa tubs. This leads any smart reader to the clear conclusion that Paintdummy has a lot of trouble with the Hydrospa tub. Otherwise, why else would he be regularly calling the tech line form help.

In recent post, they have somehow also incorrectly inferred that because I have written about my negative experience with a Hydrospa tub, that I am not very technically skilled.

Fortunately, for me, that is untrue. In fact, my educational and professional backgrounds are scientific and technical. I am very able to troubleshoot and these devices. Having worked in aerospace, I do not find hot tubs particularly complex. I just do not like spending time repairing brand new products. If I wanted a fixer-upper, I would have gone to the second-hand store.

However, since they have once more offered me an opportunity to come down on Hydrospa products, I will take the opening. If you do in fact work for Hydrospa as apologists –a big word for our friend who cannot write or spell– you will do well to write nice things about their lousy firm and avoid leaving critical comments about forum members who express opposing opinions.

It is not my job to fix or troubleshoot a brand new $4,000 spa. If you and Paintdummy enjoy buying crappy merchandise, then good for you. Enjoy it. When I buy a new product, particularly a big-ticket item, I expect it to function properly. If it does not, then the seller is legally and morally responsible for reasonably correcting the problem promptly. My role in this transaction is supposed to be to set up, maintain and enjoy the tub.

I am glad that COSTCO will allow me to return it and I will keep posting this info because I hope it helps someone avoid the trouble of dealing with Hydrospa, in my experience an unresponsive company that makes a poor quality spa. Anyone interested can just check out the threads in this forum for info on Hydrospa. Thank God I have the COSTCO return option otherwise I’d be stuck like some people here: http://www.tattletaleconsumerhotline.com/Retailers.htm

So keep it up boys, you’ve really ticked me off with your barbs. My guess is that you are paid by Hydrospa, but if NewNWSpaOwner and Paintdummy are just ordinary citizens, my suggestion is that they stick to dispensing useful suggestions and refrain –another big word for you dumdum—from criticizing other posters.

Thats the best you can do is call me paintdummy???? and say I can't type or spell.... Well to bad for you! I don't ever recall personally attacking you in that fashion on a personal level as you are now.

As for my typing well your right! I'll let you know why....I have a shatterd wrist so it's very hard to type accurately one handed so I do the best can. Sorry if that bugs you.

If you trully hate your tub, get it back to costco and get a real tub if thats your opinion. Btw. Costco here has not had one tub returned from this series yet they sold well over one hundred units from one store just this summer. Go figure!

The Other thing I notice in your post is nothing is based on factual evidence that Hydrospa is a bad product. Can you also show me where I made fun of one member here???? I think not!!!!!I have never implied a lack of skill or knowledge on your part or anyone else as you have attacked me and others.

In my feild of construction on commercial projects. I have a great deal of construction background with methods, circ. pumps and materials used in the trade in general but, never have nor will I claim to be a Spa expert.I am not.

As to customer service and my experiance? Ive orderd filters from them and called to learn how to adjust my filter time. So your assumption is totally false. I just don't understand why so many people post here on a issue that is a simple explanation or repair had they called customer support.

Not sure why you think you need to fix anything? Ive heard that before and don't understand that statement. Again why not avail yourself of Costomer service and let them help you enjoy the tub. good greif! The way your post reads you act like you have to repair the spa when in fact all thats needed is a explanation of your issue with customer service. Wouldn't you need to explain what the spa is doing to any dealer customer service department of a name brand spa? they are not going to send a tech just because you say it isn't working correctly, they need to know what its doing to best asses and repair it correctly.Am I Missing something here?

If you need help in geeting through to customer servive, I would be more the happy to get that contact information to you.

• 3 weeks later...